Guttering fittings leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m getting fed up with the fittings on my guttering leaking and dripping for an hour or so after there’s been rainfall. My guess is that the rubber seals are worn (after 8 years?!?!) and therefore letting the water through. I’ve taken them out, cleaned then and refitted them. It’s slightly improved but not solved it.

I guess one option is to use a load of silicone to seal them but this feels like a it’s a bit of work around rather than fix.

Can the rubber seals for floplast niagara ogee guttering be bought separately so I can fit them? Would putting these new rubbers on solve the problem?

Any tips/advice would be great please.

Sponsored Links
New rubber seals would solve your problem if you could buy them on their own! Try ebay.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I managed to find them. I’ve ordered plenty. Hopefully it’ll sort it. I guess if left undisturbed they should last for years?

My guess is that the rubber seals are worn (after 8 years?!?!) and therefore letting the water through.

There's another possibility. I haven't worked with your particular type of gutter, but sometimes notches are cut into the inner section to allow the brackets to snap into place easier. If the notches are cut too big then the inner section isn't held tightly enough against the outer section, therefore the rubber seal isn't held tightly.

The best I can explain it is... Consider two lengths of U shape the same size, one sitting inside the other - the inner one sits proud of the outer one at the top edge, by the thickness of the plastic. Now consider fitting a bracket, the same size as the U shape, over them both - it won't fit since it's not 'long' enough. However if a notch (or two notches, one at each 'end') is cut from the inner section - now the bracket clicks over the outer one but still holds against the inner.

This is the best I could find to demonstrate what I mean, since I'm not explaining it very well. Ignore the notch adapter bit...

My neighbours garage gutter was dripping onto his ladder earlier this year, that was annoying, but luckily he could hear it too and moved the ladder after heavy rain last month.

Ahhh good advice! Thanks.

Fortunately I can confirm that the guttering has been cut the right length. Floplast have a like on the inside and the writing “cut guttering to here”. So that’s cool!

Also... they’ve not been notched. Like you said... notching them would mean that the clips wouldn’t hold the guttering to the rubber very tight.

Hopefully the newly ordered rubber seals should do the trick.

If no luck buy a roll of foilband

Cut yourself some strips as wide as the Union, clean the gutter and put this stuff on.

We foilbanded a house 6 years ago without any rubbers in the gutters whatsoever (cause it was some stupid shape) and it’s never leaked since.

New rubbers arrived this week. Just fitted them and tested with a hosepipe. Every single one leaks!! How come? Am I missing something? Nothing is notched and everything looks fine.

Last edited:
Floplast guttering needs Floplast brackets.....
If still no joy, run a layer of silicone over the rubber strips and try again.
John :)

Bot of an oddball one then...I find the clips pretty hard to engage unless the gutters have been in full sunlight and are warmish - are yours the same?
The rubber seals seem to be fixed with contact adhesive on the bracket side when new.
I have a couple of dodgy couplings too but the silicone squidge has sorted them.
John :)

Dont know what style of clips you have but I find on mine it makes them easier to engage by positioning a pair of pincers with one jaw inside the gutter and the other on the clip and gently squeezing while rolling the handles towards the roof..if that makes sense?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back