A fridge/freezer safety concern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. About two months ago, we replaced our "under-counter", free-standing fridge and freezer (two separate appliances). Whereas the old appliances each had a kind of grid (of very find pipes) at the rear, which grids were about the same area as the rear of each appliance, the new ones have what looks like a plate at the back. In both cases, these fittings at the rear of the main case of the appliances will be for cooling the system. They stand off from the main case, by about half an inch. In the booklets that came with these appliances, there is a warning not to let any electric cable come in contact with the plate at the back. I can only assume that this warning is given because, over time, any electric cable in contact with the plate could become damaged by heat given off by the plate.

Now, with regard to "no contact", it would seem that, for us, there is no choice in the matter. This is because the power supply sockets are at the side of this pair of appliances (and just above the top of them (i.e. above the worktop), so the power cables from each appliance, to the two sockets, necessarily travel from the bottom of each appliance, at an angle of approximately 45°, up to the power sockets. When the fridge and freezer are being pushed under the worktop and up against the wall, I have no control over whether they touch the two plates, or not. The worst-case scenario could be that one of these power-cables becomes brittle or otherwise damaged, and starts a fire (possibly while we are sleeping!). I have thought about various tubes that might be applied to these cables, as heat insulators, but don't seem to be able to think of anything that would be really effective and that would not take up too much space in the limited space between the plates and the kitchen wall.

After all this, I should like to ask two questions. The first is: am I being concerned about this unnecessarily (I mean, do the plates not get very hot, anyway)? The second is this: can anyone suggest how to protect these power-cables from being damaged by heat?

Thanks in advance, for any helpful replies!
AA.W.

Sponsored Links
Heat is probably not a problem but short lengths of pipe insulation on the cable will keep the cable clear of the plates.

There is a risk of some vibration in the plate when the compressor is running and this could over time abrade a cable that was pressed against the plate.

Heat is probably not a problem but short lengths of pipe insulation on the cable will keep the cable clear of the plates.

There is a risk of some vibration in the plate when the compressor is running and this could over time abrade a cable that was pressed against the plate.

Bernard: Thanks for your comments. If there is not much danger from a heated plate, that takes the pressure off, at least. The next time that the appliances are pulled out, I will try pieces of pipe insulation. It was the possibility of hardening/cracking, through heat, that was causing me concern.
A.W.

Heat is probably not a problem

SECOND THOUGHTS:
Bernard, without wishing to give offence, I should like to ask what basis you have for saying the above. Is it through experience in dealing with fridges and freezers? I mean, are you a refrigeration engineer, or what? I'm sure that you will understand that one cannot be casual about questions such as I have asked.
A.W.

Sponsored Links
I have over 50 year owned and installed several refrigerators and freezers in my various homes and have never found the condenser ( the "hot" bit at the back ) hot enough to be a hazard to man or cable.

No I am not a refrigeration engineer, I am a semi retired electronics design engineer.

I have over 50 year owned and installed several refrigerators and freezers in my various homes and have never found the condenser ( the "hot" bit at the back ) hot enough to be a hazard to man or cable.

No I am not a refrigeration engineer, I am a semi retired electronics design engineer.

Thanks for that, Bernard. It's very reassuring.
A.W.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back