How to be sure of the official dimensions of a freezer or fridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. What I am asking may seem to be about something that is obvious, but I need to be absolutely sure about it. Our fridge and freezer need replacing, and the space for them (under the kitchen worktop) is limited. When a fridge or freezer is viewed on a dealer's website, usually, its dimensions are stated (H X D X W). It's easy to see what maximum height or width is needed, but, because of a concern about buying appliances that are too big to fit, I am not 100% sure of what the official depth of an appliance includes. I shall explain.

At the back of our freezer, there is a grid of fine pipes (a cooling system, no doubt), which stand off from the actual case of the freezer. Then hooked onto this grid are two "buffers", which prevent the grid from being damaged by impact with the wall behind the freezer.

What I need to be sure of, before ordering new appliances, is whether the grid and/or the "buffers" are included in the depth in the dimensions stated on the website, or whether it refers to the depth of the case only.

It seems reasonable to assume that only the casing is measured, and that the grid and the buffers are not included. However, I need to be sure. I should not like to order goods of the wrong size!

Also, some fridge doors bulge (are more curved) than others. Is the depth of a fridge measured from the straight line behind the door, or must it include the bulge of the door?

Can anyone with knowledge of the white goods trade say, with certainty, what is included in dimensions stated on websites? My grateful thanks, if you can.
A.W.

Sponsored Links
with certainty, what is included in dimensions stated on websites?

In my experience...

Dimensions stated on retailers' websites are to be ignored/checked.
Dimensions stated on manufacturers' websites can still be a bit hit & miss.
Dimensions found on a proper technical diagram, on a manufacturers' PDF are to be trusted, but still not detailed enough when there are any odd circumstances you are worried about.

This only real solution is to take your tape measure with you when appliance shopping.

If depth is your main issue, my old Samsung didn't have any of the copper grid at the rear, nor did the rear get hot at all.

It got rid of all it's heat through the side walls, meaning that you need a bit more clearance left and right, but you could literally shove it back touching the wall with no problems.

Might be something worth checking or looking into on modern units.

In my experience...

Dimensions stated on retailers' websites are to be ignored/checked.
Dimensions stated on manufacturers' websites can still be a bit hit & miss.
Dimensions found on a proper technical diagram, on a manufacturers' PDF are to be trusted, but still not detailed enough when there are any odd circumstances you are worried about.

This only real solution is to take your tape measure with you when appliance shopping.

In that case, it's going to be difficult, because a) I am not very mobile (with no car, and arthritic when walking) and b) because to find a store that sells them and that is fairly local, is not easy. However, thanks for the warning. I thought the stated dimensions could be relied upon (even though what they include is not stated).
A.W.

Sponsored Links
AW, what appliance is it? I'll try and help.

And what is there already?

Be aware that with the same or slightly bigger external dimensions, the internal capacity can vary quite a bit.
The under-worktop fridges on AO.com vary between 88-149 litres.
Are you replacing both fridge and freezer?
I could look up Which? for a best buy, if you like.

All my kitchen appliances (fridge, freezer, washing machine, tumble drier) came from AO.com and were all as described I was also concerned about exact measurements but found them to be accurate as quoted on the website.

AW, what appliance is it? I'll try and help.

And what is there already?
There is a fridge and a freezer, side by side, under the worktop. The dimensions of both (the case only, and to the front surface of the door) are H = 83.5cm, W = 54cm, D = 57cm. To repeat, the grid at the back, and the buffers, are extra to these dimensions. From what I have seen on the Web, the more expensive (and presumably, better-quality) appliances are too big for the limited space in our tiny kitchen. These two appliances are touching (which is not good, i know, and there is only 4cm spare space at one side, which we need for access to under a shelf. If this space were taken up by wider appliances, it would make things even more difficult than they are already, as regards getting under this shelf.

I wanted to buy very good quality machines (and therefore the most expensive, I suppose) to avoid having the nightmare of installing new ones in (say) four years' time, when we will be too old to struggle once again. The best quality ones would last for as long as we are likely to need them. However, as I say, they are bigger than the cheaper ones. Even among the cheaper machines, many of them are too big for our use.
A.W.

All my kitchen appliances (fridge, freezer, washing machine, tumble drier) came from AO.com and were all as described I was also concerned about exact measurements but found them to be accurate as quoted on the website.

Well, that's good news. Thanks for that!
A.W.

Be aware that with the same or slightly bigger external dimensions, the internal capacity can vary quite a bit.
The under-worktop fridges on AO.com vary between 88-149 litres.
Are you replacing both fridge and freezer?
I could look up Which? for a best buy, if you like.

Yes, I know that internal dimensions can vary, but that is not our main concern. They are both to be replaced (I hope, in about November — I'm doing the research now, so as to be ready). It's kind of you to offer to look up on Which, and I really appreciate that. However, the dimensions are such a crucial concern that I think you might well be wasting your time.
A.W.

If you order anything online, as long as you don’t damage it it can be taken back and a full refund given. AO were good with this when my impatient mother ordered an American style fridge freezer (because she had always wanted one!) that could store food for a family of 16 for just her and my Dad before they even moved into a bungalow. It took up nearly half the kitchen!

If you order anything online, as long as you don’t damage it it can be taken back and a full refund given. AO were good with this when my impatient mother ordered an American style fridge freezer (because she had always wanted one!) that could store food for a family of 16 for just her and my Dad before they even moved into a bungalow. It took up nearly half the kitchen!

I suppose that is the case. However, I should not like to have the wrong stuff delivered in the first place. We are old and not very fit. It would be a tremendous hassle for us, if that happened.
A.W.

Are you able to measure your under-worktop space and see how much extra height/ width/ depth there is, if any?

Then we can look for replacements that do not exceed those dimensions.

Are you able to measure your under-worktop space and see how much extra height/ width/ depth there is, if any?

Then we can look for replacements that do not exceed those dimensions.

The machines that we already have just fit, with no spare space (except, perhaps, a cm of width and height for each one). Even that leeway would be begrudged, as they are so close. However, I do have the Internet, and can search for myself, thanks. It's just that I am very unsure of what stated dimensions include. I could ring the dealers, I suppose, but my experience has been that staff sometimes will tell you anything, and pretend to know if they don't. So, it's rather a risk. I do appreciate what you offer, though.
A.W.

The best I can find so far is a pair of Beko units. Both Which best buys and both sold at AO.com in either white or silver. One of them is currently out of stock but they are getting more in soon and you can sign up for an alert when they do.

The freezer is Beko UF584 APW (white) or Beko UF584APS (silver) and has a capacity of 85 litres.
The fridge is Beko UR584APW (white) or Beko UR584APS (silver) and has a capacity of 101 litres.

The dimensions for all of them are the same:
H: 84 cm
W:54.5 cm
D:59.5 cm

The height and the width are both 5mm more than your existing. The depth is more awkward to work out, as you know yours is 57 cm deep WITHOUT the gubbins at the back.

I would think yours must be around 60 deep including the gubbins, so hopefully you should be OK. Worst case scenario, your units will protrude from the worktop a bit more than the existing ones do at the moment.

Don't get confused with another model which is sold by AO, which is the UFF584APW. This model has the same external dimensions as the ones above, but a smaller capacity.

Both hinge on the right so you might want to decide which is going where, then reverse the door of one of them, so they open like cupboard doors. Or not!

Which? said this about the freezer: Can freeze a lot of fresh food. Great at keeping food safely frozen in fluctuating room temperatures. Protects food for more than 24 hours after a power cut. Fire retardant backing.

Which? said this about the fridge: Very accurate thermostat. Quick to chill. Evenly cools. Immune to fluctuating room temperatures. Fire retardant backing.

Hope this helps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back