A gap...

G

Goldspoon

I am starting to tile a bathroom tomorrow. Tiles are 60cm by 33cm ish (big). Room is about 235 ish cm high and same ish on the lengths, tiles stone sort of beige colour and going all over the walls. During planning I realised that if the bottom row is full tile height I am left with a 2.5 cm gap at the top. So what I planned to do is have a part tile at the bottom and a part tile at the top to even things out. What a pain though as it means every top tile in the room needs cutting and so does every bottom tile. So to avoid all the cutting (and save tiles)...

Q: Do tilers ever just leave a gap at the top (say painted white same as ceiling)?

Q. Is there a way of filling hiding the gap?

Moving on from this...

Couple I am doing it for have suggested skirting boards and having the gap at the bottom - hidden. I know I would still cut the top tiles on one edge to ensure they would follow the ceiling line (slightly not true) but I could leave a gap at the bottom as it is hidden by the skirting boards. Rang the joiner and he said skirting boards and tiles were not the fashion and not what he would do although he is happy to do it if required.

Q. Skirting boards on top of tiles... any thoughts... ?

Ps. bathroom floor to be carpet (and there is a discussion for another day!)

Sponsored Links
er i might be missing something here?but why not get the chippy to put the skirts on 1st then you can adjust the tiles accordingly and perhaps eliminate the top cuts?

What a pain though as it means every top tile in the room needs cutting and so does every bottom tile.
Welcome to the wonderful world of tiling :D

Q: Do tilers ever just leave a gap at the top (say painted white same as ceiling)?
Depends on what customer wants

Q. Is there a way of filling hiding the gap?
Not really

Rang the joiner and he said skirting boards and tiles were not the fashion and not what he would do
Hes right,not en vogue you know

Q. Skirting boards on top of tiles... any thoughts... ?
I wouldn't but the customer is always right ;)

I had the same issue. I added a row of 50mm mosaic tiles (had to cut make some from a large tile) about half way between the floor and ceiling. I think my bathroom looks better for doing this.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Thanks SL. That is actually a very good idea.

Bit the bullet and decided to go with a slightly bigger half height tile at bottom and half tile height at top. Glad I did as the ceiling goes up quite a bit at one end!

Customer can choose whether to fit skirting board at last minute (or not as tiles go to floor).

Thanks all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back