Removing skirting before tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've pulled off skirting in bathroom as getting a tiled floor put down then the tile going up the wall a few inches instead of skirting.

One wall when I pulled skirting off has a two inch gap a bottom of plasterboard. That will need to be tiled over.

Thinking cut strip of tile backer board or wood then either wire mesh or mesh tape and plaster over it?

What do you all think? Looking the best/easiest approach.

Attachments

• IMG_20201019_174212.jpg
    IMG_20201019_174212.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 184
Sponsored Links
Backer board for sure. I'd probably go a bit higher than the finished tile hight so the joint isn't on the edge of the tiles. Then you'll be able to feather the joint in with plaster of filler

Sponsored Links
Backer board for sure. I'd probably go a bit higher than the finished tile hight so the joint isn't on the edge of the tiles. Then you'll be able to feather the joint in with plaster of filler

The tiles will go above the join, almost like skirting. Thinking backer board then and fill joins and any damaged bits with gyproc easy fill. Just thick enough backer board so it's flush with board/plaster?

If there is any movement between the joint of the bb and pb it could loosen the tiles so I would make sure the tile is on a full piece of backer board and the joint is an inch or so above. how thick is the plaster board? wickes do a 10mm or 12mm board. I think either would be suitable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back