White walls, black floor, what to do with cream skirting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
2 questions here

1) I have tiled my walls white and the floor I will be black slate. 3 of the 3 walls have been tiled white, the fourth will be painted (has towel radiator and sink on it). What to do with the skirting?
At the moment it is an old cream colour. Thinking of taking this off and, putting new skirting on and then painting white.
But after reading on here I am thinking of maybe "put a run of cut floor tiles to make a skirting around the room about 100/150mm tall which then leaves a nice clean edge to finish the wall tiles off against"
1.1) Will this look of against the painted wall
1.2) The rear outside wall has been boarded down to top of skirting, so when I remove skirting, there will be a gap of inch or more to the wall.
I presume I should rip up the old tiles floor, then board the strip/gap, then lay new floor and finally put tile skirting on?
(i think i wrote the last bit just to get the order straight in my head)

2) Any tips for tiling on the floor?
Going to rip up everything down to old floorboards.
Screw down some boarding then using flexible adhesive, put the tiles down.
Apart from starting in the furthest corner what advice do you have.

Run rows, towards the door?
Any advice for getting it truely level?
How large the spaces between the tiles?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back