tiling passage floor into dining room as well

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've just ripped up the old floor tiles (vinyl type but not flexible, stuck down with black adhesive on concrete floor) and also taken off the skirting boards. Question 1 is do I tile tight against the wall or leave a gap, and when I replace the skirting boards onto the tiles do I seal the edge with grout or maybe silicone?. Question 2. The toilet off of the passage is floor tiled so do I marry up the tiles (different type but same size) and carry on up & down the passage?. Cheers all Del

Sponsored Links
Q1- Leave a gap of 3mm+ and shouldnt need to silicone skirt boards
Q2- You will need to buy a tile to tile threshold available from all good tile shops.

I would use decorators caulk to go between the tiles and the skirting as it has a degree of flexibility that will cope with the different rates of expansion and contraction between the concrete and the wood. Caulk is also paintable and silicone isn't.

If you can follow the original pattern of tiles it would look neater but that might leave you with some difficult cuts to make in other areas, suggest you lay the tiles out without adhesive to see where you end up.

I would use decorators caulk to go between the tiles and the skirting as it has a degree of flexibility that will cope with the different rates of expansion and contraction between the concrete and the wood. Caulk is also paintable and silicone isn't.
If you use caulk, you have to ensure to paint every last bit of it or it'll get grubby quickly.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back