Tile skirting - offset or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

tiling my first floor - and not enjoying it much! Still, got all the tiles fixed down today so tomorrow its just the skirting to do . .

I thought I'd tile up the wall 100mm . . . .

My question - is it common practise to line up the skirting tiles with the floor tiles - that is, so as the grout lines continue? Or does it look better to offset them by half a tile (my floor tiels are 333 x 333)?

And second, do you grout the gap between floor tile and skirting tile or is it better to silicone?

thanks for any advice!

Huey

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

tiling my first floor - and not enjoying it much! Still, got all the tiles fixed down today so tomorrow its just the skirting to do . .

I thought I'd tile up the wall 100mm . . . .

My question - is it common practise to line up the skirting tiles with the floor tiles - that is, so as the grout lines continue? Or does it look better to offset them by half a tile (my floor tiels are 333 x 333)?

And second, do you grout the gap between floor tile and skirting tile or is it better to silicone?

thanks for any advice!

Huey

Personally i keep the skirting in line with floor tiles as it does look better and neater, the gap you refer to is siliconed to allow for movement unless its concrete floor and solid walls, even then i would use silicon

that is ok until you have a floor tile cut at an angle... impossible to line up the joints then.....

Sponsored Links
that is ok until you have a floor

tile cut at an angle... impossible to line up the joints then.....

what do you mean by that??

if its all set up correctly it should go sweet as a nut " sir"

if your tiles are say 300 square and you have to cut one at 45 degrees. how are you going to keep the joints the same when the cut tile is 425mm long.....

on a straight set floor why would you have a 45 degree cut ? or am i missunderstanding you?

Or you could actually check to see if your room is square before starting, sorry this bit was not in my original post, i have just added it

this exact thing just happened to me!

think its prob the sort of thing noone else really noticed once its all grouted . . .

if your tiles are say 300 square and you have to cut one at 45 degrees. how are you going to keep the joints the same when the cut tile is 425mm long.....

on a straight set floor why would you have a 45 degree cut ?

so every room is perfectly square.... 45 degrees was an example.... even 5 degrees will put the line out....

my room had a 45 degree wall in it, your point was certainly proved! :)

thank you... and i am not a tiler... but looking at the finished product..

did not want you to receive bum info.. which you did from some called professionals.. if there are any professional tilers...

any way.. good luck..

sweet as a s***te job... :D

As you say Geraint, you are NOT a tile fixer
the secret of a good job is in the setting out, if you dont set out the job correctly it will/ can look attrocious. Then again if you set it out CORRECTLY it WILL look mint, or at least my work does and thats NOT blowing my own trumpet mate, but yes there are times when you CANNOT match the joints up. So in 1 respect you are correct

You keep making references to courses, my course actually took 5 yrs mate, from 1978 to 1983, its what was called a " proper apprenticeship", you know the thing where you work for a company, go to college,
Have you ever heard of an indentured apprenticeship? or do you maybe only know about in house apprenticeships

sweet as a s***te job... :D

As you say Geraint, you are NOT a tile fixer
the secret of a good job is in the setting out, if you dont set out the job correctly it will/ can look attrocious. Then again if you set it out CORRECTLY it WILL look mint, or at least my work does and thats NOT blowing my own trumpet mate, but yes there are times when you CANNOT match the joints up. So in 1 respect you are correct

You keep making references to courses, my course actually took 5 yrs mate, from 1978 to 1983, its what was called a " proper apprenticeship", you know the thing where you work for a company, go to college,
Have you ever heard of an indentured apprenticeship? or do you maybe only know about in house apprenticeships

never mentioned a course but hey.. and the op agreed.. and proved..
SOi how do you set out to keep the lines... MINT

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back