A glue to bond ABS plastic that will also give a little

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old garden strimmer which works perfectly except for the fact that the head housing has cracked almost in half. It might be a goner but I'd like to see if I can make it useable again as the motor runs fine.

Can anyone recommend a specific glue which would bond/weld the plastic housing? I was considering some kind of epoxy but I think it would dry hard and brittle. Given that the housing will have to withstand a lot of shudder, I think a glue that dries hard but with a little 'give' would be suitable. Does such a glue exist?

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Gluing plastic is hard work, normal superglue etc is too brittle.

Have a search for car bumper repair kits, they have some flexible adhesives available.

You can get hot wire "staples" but thats a bodyshop tool really.

ABS solvent weld glue Google " abs solvent adhesive "

But are you sure the plastic is ABS ? Test by applying some solvent to a test patch. If the surface softens and then becomes hard when the solvent evaporates then a repair might be possible. Consider adding some ABS patches across the joins to reinforce the joint(s)

Just a thought or two....
Hot glue could be a possibility - you can build up the layer and if it's keyed on it sticks quite well;
A fibre glass repair kit from Halfords? Again, if the surface is well keyed and clean it could work.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Lots to consider then. I've looked into the bumper repair side and JB WELD PlasticWeld might do the trick. I'm not sure if the casing is ABS, I'm just presuming it is. The strimmer is just an old BD one, around 7 years I'd say.

@Burnerman I hadn't considered hot glue. Won't it be a little brittle? It would be great if it does work though as I've tons of the stuff! Maybe that used in conjunction with a fibre glass kit?

Unfortunately, I've now noticed that the interior plastic surrounding the spindle holder has started to melt a little, so I'm wondering if its even worth repairing. Very odd how they designed a fast spinning component to be encased inside plastic with very little space tolerance!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back