A Leak!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a leak coming from the pipe that takes the waste water from the toilet - S Bend I believe it's called?

It may be the seal so want to replace it.

Is it easy?
Do I need a specific pipe?

Will I need to turn the water off?

or will a bowl underneath to catch water suffice?

I'm a novice!

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Unless you're very lucky indeed with the run of the pan connector, there's every chance that you'll have to be prepared to pull the entire loo forward to uncouple the connector....this means water off, fill pipe disconnected, overflow disconnected (if there is one), pan to floor screws out and also the cistern screws.
When you pull the loo forward expect a bit of waste water ( and other nasty bits) to be present so catch that.
The pan connector connects the ceramic to the drain and there are several types and shapes, so it could be an idea to take it to the diy store when you get a new one. Enjoy!
John :)

Sponsored Links
You may want to also determine in advance whether or not the soil pipe is cast iron or PVC design as this will have a bearing on what you need.....

Also, if you're pulling WC bowl AND cistern forward all in one, enlist extra help to support the cistern - I'd be inclined to take the cistern off, put that to one side, then pull the bowl forward on its own; and renew the doughnut washer when replacing the cistern. This won't apply if you have a concealed cistern, though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back