A Legend Dies

A real legend, didn't deserve dying from cancer! real shame and a sad loss. RIP.

I've not seen photo of him without a fag on yet. Didn't he think what might happen after a lifetime of chain smoking?
I lost a good friend to cancer who never smoked or drank, the saddest thing was from the time he was diagnosed and before he could even be given a small extension of life like a year or two , he died within a few months before even his treatment could begun.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Clever bloke. Invented reinvention. Artistic pioneer, a style that has been much copied.
He wrote a few good tunes but what did he actually invent
If you are wanting someone to say that he invented the lightbulb, then forget it. But he did invent reinvention - he changed his style, music and persona often - he kept changing and challenging. He challenged musically as well as taboo subjects (admitting he was bi) and showed a million or more kids that it was ok to be different.. People like Madonna and Lady Gaga have a lot to thank Bowie for.
He also influenced a stupid amount of musicians that are around today, excellent musicians and they freely admit that Bowie was so important to them. There are even thoughts that without the likes of Bowie, punk wouldn't have happened.
This is where he was at his best - yes, he could bang out a hell of a tune, but he really changed and challenged music, for the better. Millions of people are thankful for that and being a Bowie and punk fan since I was about 11 years old, I am thankful too. My ears bleed with mainstream music!

He wrote a few good tunes but what did he actually invent
He realised that people get bored with a particular band or artist and chose to characterise his acts. These characters or shows could be killed off and a new one invented thus re-popularising the brand.
Madonna was an admirer and makes no bones about her plagiarising Bowie in regards to the re-inventing thing.
I'm not saying he was any particular extraordinary musician, but he recognised a trait in musical performances and was popular and liked because of it. Definitely original though.

A David Bowie concert I went to in the early '90's was one of the loudest I have ever been to. Ears ringing for days after. One of the reasons I no longer go to live concerts.

He realised that people get bored with a particular band or artist
You mean the fickle, fashion-led are.

Do people who liked Frank Sinatra not still like him?
I still like Elvis.

Do people not always like the music that they liked when they were young?
Music is memories.

You mean the fickle, fashion-led are.

Do people who liked Frank Sinatra not still like him?
I still like Elvis.

Do people not always like the music that they liked when they were young?
Music is memories.
I agree.
It's more to do with contemporary pop music.
Abba is a classic example in that people got bored with them and they became the band to shun in the eighties. Now they are seen as retro pop icons. David Bowie tried to avoid that part where you get shunned.

Sponsored Links
Back