A long shot maybe

Sponsored Links
Read what I posted Eddie, "use the right size for your cable"...

NOt knowing what cable size your using or the space available at your enclosure - this is a choice only you can make - as John says the smaller one needs a 12mm+ hole

I have, so as not to get unnecessarily annoying, I purchased a 7 pin circular MIL connector, it's completely understanble if you don't understand, but the suggestions, as welcome as they were, are cosmetically unacceptable.

Now if anyone knows how to split braided sleeving...... joking... I know how to do it, it's fiddly.

Sponsored Links
I have, so as not to get unnecessarily annoying, I purchased a 7 pin circular MIL connector, it's completely understanble if you don't understand, but the suggestions, as welcome as they were, are cosmetically unacceptable.
Fair enough - as has been said, it's your model, and for you to make the decisions.

For what it's worth, as I have implied, I would personally never, unless totally unavoidable, use any sort of plug/socket (no matter what its IP rating) if I wanted a high degree of resistance to water ingress.

As a matter of interest, how are you planning to address the fact that you apparently regard the 'splitting' of wires within the model as being too 'messy' - are you really going to try to get 18 wires into a 7-pin plug?

Kind Regards, John

As a matter of interest, how are you planning to address the fact that you apparently regard the 'splitting' of wires within the model as being too 'messy' - are you really going to try to get 18 wires into a 7-pin plug?

Kind Regards, John

A heat shrunk inline connector from a common negative, not ideal but should be neat enough when in the braids.

Though that does of course assume it's the positives that are switched! trivial of course to work out with a MM.

A heat shrunk inline connector from a common negative, not ideal but should be neat enough when in the braids.
That's sounds fine to me - it's exactly the sort of thing I had in mind when I posted that rough diagram, but you seemed to be saying that it was 'too messy' at the time.

Kind Regards, John

That's sounds fine to me - it's exactly the sort of thing I had in mind when I posted that rough diagram, but you seemed to be saying that it was 'too messy' at the time.

Kind Regards, John

True, but further reflection, plus the availability of minature inline connectors has changed my mind. Once again thanks to all for your input, it's been thought provoking and rightly challenging, thanks especially from whittling 18 pins down to 5 min.

And from there, to the rough tough nitro evolution, which could easily top out at 130 MPH top speed, but that's not for this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
True, but further reflection, plus the availability of minature inline connectors has changed my mind. Once again thanks to all for your input, it's been thought provoking and rightly challenging, thanks especially from whittling 18 pins down to 5 min.
Again, you're welcome - I hope it all goes well, to your satisfaction. Are we perhaps eventually going to get to see some piccies of this masterpiece?!

I think there's probably a lesson to be learned here by all of us. Had you told us at the start exactly what it was that you wanted to do (rather than asking specifically about tiny 18-pin plugs/sockets), I think we would have got to the same conclusions in far less than 5 pages - certainly in terms of the fairly dramatic reduction in number of pins/wires, and at least pointing out to you (maybe 'for future reference') the general undesirability of unnecessarily using plugs/sockets of any sort when one wants a high degree of protection against water ingress.

Kind Regards, John

Again, you're welcome - I hope it all goes well, to your satisfaction. Are we perhaps eventually going to get to see some piccies of this masterpiece?!

I think there's probably a lesson to be learned here by all of us. Had you told us at the start exactly what it was that you wanted to do (rather than asking specifically about tiny 18-pin plugs/sockets), I think we would have got to the same conclusions in far less than 5 pages - certainly in terms of the fairly dramatic reduction in number of pins/wires, and at least pointing out to you (maybe 'for future reference') the general undesirability of unnecessarily using plugs/sockets of any sort when one wants a high degree of protection against water ingress.

Kind Regards, John

Again, true but I didn't want to overburden people with details, however, seems that I have inadvertently done so. The thoughts and advice have been very much appreciated.

So now for:

Fabricating the light housings, no it doesn't have any.

The chroming (How much!)

Hardening the somewhat pathetic gears

Re-homing the servo.

All good fun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back