Heat from a 13 amp fuse.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was reading another post about hot 13 amp plugs, and over my time I have come across many hot 13 amp plugs and in the main blamed a poor connection to fuse or pins, and some times you can see where it has over heated.

However I have never considered the fuse its self as being faulty, we all realise to rupture the wire has to reach melting point so clearly the cartridge will get hot.

There must be a minimum length of fuse material to stop arching, but many fuses have a design to minimise the heat and arching
220px-Industrial_NH1_Fuse_100A.jpg
the holes in the foil mean the whole fuse does not heat up as much, so what about the 13 amp fuse, are they all the same, or do some produce less heat? A hunt will find a chart current v time, we have all seen damage like this
overloaded-plug.jpg
and I have assumed a poor connection some where but could also be the fuse is generating more heat than is should, could the fuse be to blame?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back