A new Megaflow and water pressure

It was definatley a 3 litre bottle.

Ok let me test it again just to be sure.

Sponsored Links
Hi Simond

Ive just rechecked it

Definatley a 3 Litre bottle
re-tested 3 times and I got 3.4, 3.8, 3.5

Should I now be worried.......

Pressure guage showing be 2.9

Well, there must be a blockage in your pipework between the cylinder and the underperforming bathrooms.

With 50l/m and 2.9bar static your system should run like a train.

Is the cold and hot similarly affected?

I don't suppose your plumber fitted flow restrictors or similar?

A 3 litre bottle in a little over 3 seconds?

I'm sorry Tazer to doubt you, but that is a little under 60 litres per minute. That is fire hydrant territory...... are you sure?????

I questioned a customer who had a 15mm supply pipe and he measured 47 li/min open pipe.

But when I visited he was quite right!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Simon,

No, no flow restrictions any were, as mentioned quite a few cock stocks for the closure of water for 1st floor and loft bathrooms.

Where would i check for blockage and how. As both baths are effected, it must be before the pipe work splits one going to the loft and other to the 1st floor.

Is there some sort of power jet wash for pipe work, similary for the one which is used for central heatings.

Just so baffled on why this is happening.

I will take a pic in the morning and upload it if that helps[/img]

Can you confirm that the hot and cold taps upstairs are affected?

Hi Simond

Both are exactly the same, the cold and hot.

Havent had a chance to take a pic.

Redrained the system this morning removed one of the unessesary isolating valves.

Refilled the megaflow and still the same, really disappointed.

Both loft and the first floor are pretty much the same where the water pressure for both hot and cold are low. The ground is fantastic.

Someone suggested putting a pump on both the hot and cold.........
what do you guys reckon.

Checked all the pipes doesnt seem to be blocked anywhere.......

Heres some pics which I took last night. Not gret of pics.

I have 4 zones in total, Hot water, Ground, 1st and Loft
Magnaclean for the boiler
300L Megaflow
No isolating valves except for full bore which is connected to the water softner.
stop cocks for pipe work going to 1st floor and loft bathrooms
Also stock cock for ground floor bathroom
Gatevalves for the Megaflow

Its been doing my head in, in trying to sort the pressure out, is there some sort of tool out there which can chase the pipes to see what the water flow/ pressure is, as this will determine if there is a blockage somewhere or not.

As mentioned 2 people have suggested either installing an Accumaltor or adding a pump to the hot and cold feed where the water is being pushed up.

Im not sure if this is the right method considering Ive spent alot of money on the current system and fairly dissapointed with the results

Well, looking at the pictures it's not an installation I'd be proud of, assuming it was all done at the same time.

But the facts and measurements show that you have a blockage or restriction somewhere on the hot and cold - or your pressure reading is incorrect.

Pumps are out, because it is unvented and you will suck water through the main, and an accumulator is totally unnecessary with that flow rate.

I think it needs someone to look at this who has a flow cup and a pressure gauge and can work out where the problems lie.

Have you turned off the mains water to house, turned a hot tap to release pressure in cylinder and then checked that the pressure gauge goes to zero?

Tony

No, it was done in different stages by 2 different people and has been going on since October last year. Due to the renovation works it had to be done in stages and as usual the first plumber screwed me over hence had to get the 2nd one in.

Ive switched off the mains and turned the hot water tap on, yes the pressure gauge does go done and then eventually the hot water pressure goes done as well.

I will call in a guy tomorrow who can do the further testing with the pressure guage and flow cup.

Lets see what happens.

But: Looking at my pressure guage and my flow rates (and having the megaflow 300L fitted) in your opionon what sort of pressure should I be getting on the first floor and the loft. Its a normal terraced house (semi)

1 bar is the equivalent of 10m vertical rise.

So your 1st floor taps should be about 0.3bar less, if you follow.

Had the plumber come in today and he carried out a few basic tests and it looks like the filters of the shower thermostats may be clogged up.

The first thing he checked was the basin taps, took off the filter and there was a lot of crap, once cleared ran the water for a little while and still alot of crap coming out.

Once the filter was put back on, that resolved the problem for the basin in the loft and the water was excellent.

Problem with the shower thermostat, he didnt have the tools so will be back tomorrow to reopen it and check the filter.

Has any one installed the Hansgrohe iBox.....is there a filter in here

On the 1st floor, same prob, he will have to break the tile, get access to the thermostat and try and clean the filters.......

The plumber has left, so thought let me re-check the basin filters, took it off and ran the water, stil there seems to be crap coming out....

Is there some sort of power wash for the pipes to push all the crap out. Im praying this is the problem and once cleaned resolves the issue.

Glad to hear that you're sorted.

A flow rate test from an open-ended pipe straight off the main is not all that helpful. In this case, you need to know what flow rate you get at 1 bar back-pressure.

However, you seem to have identified the problem, so Good Luck.

Hi Guys

Looks like the problem hasn’t been resolved. There was alot of crap stuck in all the filters of the shower in the loft and the 1st floor.

Once everything was put back together, it was only improved slightly. The basins in both loft and first floor are fantastic and water coming out at a very good pressure and flow rate.

But the showers themselves still have the same problem where the pressure isn’t great.

We’ve tested all the pipes, changed some of the cock stops but same old, no improvements.

Pipes are all brand new 22mm going to each bathroom

The basins are running off 15mm pipes which come off the main 22mm pipe in each bathroom.

Someone suggested a Grundfos pump.....I don’t know much about this and their website didn’t tell me much. Any suggestions what this is, how it works, were it plums in as well as if it’s suitable for a megaflow system.

Really don’t know what else to do here.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back