A Part P query (or two)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a light on the outside of my house controlled by a switch in the hall. The light fitting is old and needs replacing, which brings up a couple of questions.

1. There is a 1.0mm T&E cable from the switch which goes out through a hole in the outside (cavity) wall directly into the back of the light fitting. If I simply take the old fitting off and replace it by a new fitting will this require Part P notification (because of being outside) or will it be exempt (because of being just a like-for-like replacement of an existing fitting) ?

2. Ideally I want to move the new light fitting to a new location about a foot or so further away (to leave room for some future planned building work). The existing cable will then no longer reach, nor is there any slack to pull out, and in any case the new light fitting is designed for connection by circular flex through a round gland. So I propose to take off the old fitting, terminate the T&C cable in an IP55 enclosure and then use (say) H05RN-F (or similar) flex to connect the light fitting. Would this 'change' make the work notifiable, or would it count simply as an extension, and would it make any difference if I made the change from T&E to flex on the inside of the wall rather than outside?

Hopefully some one can give me some clarification - thanks !

Sponsored Links
1. There is a 1.0mm T&E cable from the switch which goes out through a hole in the outside (cavity) wall directly into the back of the light fitting. If I simply take the old fitting off and replace it by a new fitting will this require Part P notification (because of being outside) or will it be exempt (because of being just a like-for-like replacement of an existing fitting) ?
No, not notifiable in England.

Notification is nothing to do with Part P which applies to all work in dwellings but merely states:
1697632293998.png

There are only three notifiable works in England which are:

(a) the installation of a new circuit;
(b) the replacement of a consumer unit; or
(c) any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location.”;

Special location being the zones of a bathroom etc.

No ,the work is not notifiable to building control. Can't you make the alteration internally ?

In Wales it may technically require notification, but if the work is not connected to other building work underway, I would just do it. If it is connected to other building work, ask the LABC inspector.

Sponsored Links
No, not notifiable in England.

Notification is nothing to do with Part P which applies to all work in dwellings but merely states:
View attachment 317487

There are only three notifiable works in England which are:

(a) the installation of a new circuit;
(b) the replacement of a consumer unit; or
(c) any addition or alteration to existing circuits in a special location.”;

Special location being the zones of a bathroom etc.
With regard to (b) above. Would this also be notifiable if you were changing from a plastic, garage type, to a metal type that still contained the same equipment, i.e. 30mA RCD, 32A and 6A MCB's and all wiring for sockets and lights was left untouched?
Simply changing a plastic for an identical metal CU.

With regard to (b) above. Would this also be notifiable if you were changing from a plastic, garage type, to a metal type that still contained the same equipment, i.e. 30mA RCD, 32A and 6A MCB's and all wiring for sockets and lights was left untouched?
Well, I didn't write it, nor know what they meant any more than you or anyone else.

Would you consider what you want to do involved the 'replacement' of a consumer unit?

Yes, but why would you change a plastic CU for a metal one ?

It's not something I want to do, or intend to do, it was just something that popped into my head. Probably because I'd recently read something about garage CU's recently, maybe on here or another site.
Just one of those random thoughts that seem to come from nowhere. Thanks for your reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back