Crossing two 230V cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of alterations inside my airing cupboard I need to relocate the light fitting. The existing cable (1.0mm T&E) is laid on the surface of the wall and held by clips. I intend to remove the clips, move the cable, and put it in 16x16mm trunking for neatness.

However, the new route for the cable will take it at right-angles across the existing 2.5mm T&E cable feeding the immersion heater (also surface fitted). The bottom of the new trunking will serve as a physical separator. Are there any other requirements that I need to take into account?

The immersion heater circuit is rarely switched-on, only for odd emergencies. The light will have only intermittent use. It would be very rare for there to be power in both circuits at the same time.

Sponsored Links
I have never heard of this as being a problem - wires in and leading from your consumer unit no doubt cross each other in places, as will wires under your floors.

It could be a problem if you were routing low signal level cables, such as AV cables or computer or alarm cables near mains cables, but two mains cables would barely affect each other.

Not a problem but don't crush the 2.5 with the trunking. Loads of solutions- if it's a plasterboard wall put a divot in the wall where they cross, space the trunking off the wall by 6mm or so, cut out the bottom of the trunking where they cross.....

Sponsored Links
Or put a tee piece in the trunking and take the 2.5mm down to the immersion inside the down piece of trunking.
As stated above, 2 cables crossing will have no adverse effect on either of them.

Thanks for the advices. Fortunately there is a bit of slack in both cables to give 'air room' between the two - no danger of squashing - but I just wanted to check that I'd not missed something in the Regulations.

Ironically I used to install network cabling as part of my 'day job' , so I'm well aware about cross-talk and interference etc, but the 230V supplies were always done by the local 'sparks :)

There are grouping calculations in the regs for how much current carrying capacity should be reduced when when cables for different circuits run together, but

1. I doubt most electricans would consider it approrpriate to apply them in situations where wires simply crossed, rather than running together for an appreciable distance.
2. IIRC the grouping calculations say a cable carrying less than a third (or maybe it was 30% not sure) should be disregarded, a cable supplying a single light almost certainly falls into that category.

However, the new route for the cable will take it at right-angles across the existing 2.5mm T&E cable feeding the immersion heater (also surface fitted).
As has been said, that's not a problem at all. If there were ever going to be any theoretical 'issue', it would be when two cables ran in parallel for a long distance - 'crossing at right angles' is of no importance/significance at all (and, as has been said, would not even be considered to represent 'grouping' of cables).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back