Cable Clip Spacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just doing a bit of a rewire to the lighting circuit to add a security light and adding new sockets to the garage. I was just wondering if someone can remind me of the maximum spacing for cable clips for horizontal runs? 250mm on a horizontal seems to ring a bell.

I am using 1.0mm and 2.5mm T&E for the circuits.

Also, can anyone recommend clips better than Tower? My father used to use Thorsmann clips when he was in the trade.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Haven't got me book with me but IIRC 250mm H 400mm V

Don't forget to clip before and after bends, the bend radius etc

Tower is all I use, thou the nails are softer than than dog sh 1 te in the rain!!

Thanks oharaf

I was right then :D Do you use a close spacing than 250mm on the horizontal? I have run couple of cables in using that spacing and it looks a bit "long"! Maybe just me being picky as it is my own place.

Thanks again

Those are the maximum spacings, I like to go about every 150mm on the horizontal if it is very long run.

On the vertical I clip top down so that the cable is nice and secure, this varies with the surface type and condition and what state my thumbs are in ;)

Sponsored Links
Mmmm ... I started to think along the lines of 150~200mm when I had the cables up. The longest horizontal run is about 4m from a JB to a light switch and is clipped to a roof truss.

I have run the verticals in PVC conduit to metalclad accessories to give a bit of protection. It looks better than the original!

T&E, PVC Conduit and metal clad accessories, sounds a bit of an eye sore to me.

Why not singles, pvc conduit, you have got to take into consideration spacing factors for conduit no more than 45% of the space IIRC that T&E will now have 3 layers on insulation!!

Why the JB?

The T&E with conduit and metalclad looks OK to me. Each to their own :) Knowing me I'll probably break plastic boxes dropping something aainst them.

I thought about singles but T&E seemed easier as I was adding to existing T&E.

The JB takes the lighting feed that was original from the house circuit - garage is alongside the house and was how the developer had the wiring done. The JB then feeds a security light at the rear and I have provided a feed for lights at the the front of garage for when I decide what I am doing. The switch leg for the internal light then uses the fourth terminal. All the cables run along one side of the garage and the light is central so it made sense for me to use it as a central feed rather than using the original terminal block in the fluorescent fitting.

The length of a hammer is just right for spacing clips for first fix wiring ;)

The length of a hammer is just right for spacing clips for first fix wiring ;)

I'm so glad somebody else is in the real world, it's a hammers length all the time for me.
As for clips I use GED from tool station.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back