A quick painting question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got a chippy coming next week to fit a pair of oak rebated doors and I want to paint the existing frame white before he comes. I’ll be removing the stops and painting the frames and the stops separately so the stops can be fitted after the doors are done. Can I paint straight on to the existing frame or will it bleed through? I have some clear varnish - should I seal them with that first?

24949435-B0E5-4415-8EA5-A73CD432AF72.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Too late. I’ve started with some light cream emulsion! Should be okay when I give it a couple of coats of white satinwood. I hope. :whistle:

Sponsored Links
Emulsion on wood?!?!?! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I had a decorator mate years ago and he said it’s okay to use emulsion on wood - as long as it’s indoors. I’ve done that for the last 35 years although only ever on new, raw wood that was being used indoors with no problems. I was just concerned that the dye/stain on the frame would bleed through. Anyway, I didn’t have any white emulsion so I used a drop of light cream. Just done my second coat of emulsh! Looking good. :)

image.jpg

I'll be giving it a couple of coats of white satinwood next. I should take this up for a living……….

I always wondered why some bodgers were happy with their own work.
Now I know it's a matter of setting the standards...:ROFLMAO:
Oh, I can go quite low. :whistle:
First coat of satinwood - done! I’ll just take the dog out for a walk and maybe finish the second coat after my tea. I’m on a roll!

Two coats of emulsion, two coats of satinwood so the frame is basically done. I’ve removed and painted the stops separately and they can be refitted when the doors are hung. I’ll give it one more coat when the doors are done and post up my results!

Post a pic when you've knocked it with the Hoover!
We’ve got a Dyson cordless, no real weight to knock anything. I’ve done the same on all our door frames over the years and can’t remember suffering any damage even when we dragged a Henry around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back