A Real Jaw-To-The-Floor Moment...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to a job today where a NAPIT-registered guy had fitted a replacement consumer unit which had subsequently showed up a fault.

When I got to the house, the spark himself was there. I asked to look at the EIC & was told it only had three test results on, nothing more: Ze, PSC & RCD test.

I incredulously asked him why it wasn't filled in in its entirety. He told me there was no requirement in 7671 to do so. "You tell me where it says you have to I & T" he said. By this time, I was gob-smacked & thought he was pulling my leg. But no.

So I asked him to produce his copy. "Left it at home" he muttered, so I got mine out of the van. "Are you familiar with section 6?" I asked, hopefully.

When he said nothing I proceeded to recite the bit about T & I and recording results on a certificate, as per the model on page so-an-so.

"But my NAPIT assessor says it's up to me whether I bother to do all the test results or not.", was his reply.

"So how do you know it's safe, then?", I asked.

"Because the RCD would trip if it wasn't." came the reply.

He then told me he could not possibly do all that work and make a living, no-one would pay the price and he would go out of business. When I told him we could not proceed with a board change unless everything was OK, he basically told me I was lying.

When I came to do my tests, the RCD failed its 5x test (1x @ 144ms, 5x @ >40ms), despite him telling me it had passed at 21/11ms.

His water bond was on the wrong side of the stopcock. He told me that did not matter, I was nit-picking. In a court of law, he went on, he would happily tell the judge he had done everything correctly.

Several final circuits had flexes attached to them, in one case it was two core 0.75 attached to a 32A MCB...

The cut-out was smashed. I asked how he had changed the board without an isolator. "I worked live, of course." I do it all the time on 800V circuits.

I do I & T all the time, you know. Funny he didn't know the correct procedure for testing an RCD then. He was convinced it was tested via a socket outlet and that the maximum trip time allowed for a BSEN 6008 (@ 1x) was 200ms.

I am APPALLED!!

Sponsored Links
Did you ask him for his napit inspectors phone number?
BS EN 61008 is max 300ms at I, 40ms at 5xI if it is being used for supplementary protection.
Sounds like he wants a kick in the bum!

I am sure we have all come across this from time to time and the big thing is they don't seem to know what they have done is wrong.
I found one working on my dads house thought the test for an earth leakage trip was push yellow button when I arrive my son was trying to educate him then I arrived and said same thing and it was sinking in a little my son used his own RCD tester and showed his how it was not tripping at x1 and in the end he promised to change it. He was never seen again hiding in Welsh hills some were but I suppose OK there as they all wear wellies?

SS, as a long time NAPIT guy I am apalled. I thought we were better than that!
I can believe its happened - much in line with all the other dumbing down of quals and certs.

I seems you can get the required ticks on paper even if you do not know what you are doing. I despair.

Should I post this link onto the NAPIT (members) forum :?:

Sponsored Links
Should I post this link onto the NAPIT (members) forum :?:

If I were a NAPIT member, I would...

There are no identifiers in there, but if he went on the forum, he would recognise it immediately.

What annoyed me somewhat was that he was immediately on the defensive, making him look knowledgeable (to the customer) & me the stupid one.

While I was doing my safety checks, he came & told me that the customer did not want me here (more like him in hindsight...) and that I should leave. I went to the customer & asked if it was OK to complete my tasks. It was, funnily enough.

:evil:

Have you seen the guy's ID card? What is the membership number? If you search for the company's name on the NAPIT site, it will prove that company is a NAPIT member.
Personally I find this difficult to believe unless the individual is not registered for full scope, he may be working outside his scope or is a chancer and has no NAPIT membership.

Regards

Make notes.

Take photos.

Basically get as good a record together as you can, and then go to the police and make a statement. You have evidence of a crime being committed.

I am APPALLED!!

I am not in the least bit surprised.

As you may know I now earn my living by training electricians. The majority - I'd say ninety percent - are mystified by earthing and bonding, the regulations in general and testing procedures. (And often the worst are 'proper' apprentice-trained, old and bold sparks.)

Bear in mind that those who actually bother to attend courses are likely to be the most diligent and you'll get a picture of the general standard out there, plying for trade.

No doubt many of those who work in large organisations with good CPD standards are excellent at their job, but it's a real lottery when it comes to Joe Public picking up the Yellow Pages.

Even the more basic scope should cover I&T.

If he didnt have his big red book (or was he still using the brown one?) how did he know it had passed - or had he memorised all the figures.

Get his trading name and check the competent person website - it's usually pretty up to date - then drop him in it with NAPIT. Standards need to be upheld.

Have you seen the guy's ID card? What is the membership number? If you search for the company's name on the NAPIT site, it will prove that company is a NAPIT member.
Personally I find this difficult to believe unless the individual is not registered for full scope, he may be working outside his scope or is a chancer and has no NAPIT membership.

Regards
The guy who employed him must know who he is - should be easy to establish if he really is registered with NAPIT.

As you may know I now earn my living by training electricians.
Oh dear...I bet any mention of down lighters, dimmers and LCD TV's is forbidden and at break time all your students discuss the benefits of the kitchen pop pack with prismatic controller :LOL:

But on a positive note, the sales of the so called "17 Edition CU's" should fall in your area...

As you may know I now earn my living by training electricians.
Oh dear...I bet any mention of down lighters, dimmers and LCD TV's is forbidden and at break time all your students discuss the benefits of the kitchen pop pack with prismatic controller :LOL:

But on a positive note, the sales of the so called "17 Edition CU's" should fall in your area...

I have no idea what you are implying! ;)

Naturally any discussion of 'fire hazards', the clitoris of lighting,. is kept to a minimum.

Dimmers they can have, so long as they accept their pointlessness.

LCD TVs have their place... it is not in the bathroom.

And, as you very well know, there is no such thing as a 17th Edition anything, except the regs themselves. :D

Are you chewing at the back? I hope you've brought enough for everybody! :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back