URGENT PLEASE HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

I have a HUGE problem and would be extremely grateful for your help/advice.

My builder ran a new ring circuit (switches not lights) to my bedroom before plastering, decorating, etc. I asked him various times to check it before the plster went up. He told me he had done so and that it was all ok. However, he said that the rcd was bust and that we would need to get a new one but it was not urgent.

He then went ahead and plastered the lot.

He now tells me (i.e. as of today!!!) that there is something wrong with the cable between the consumer unit and the first socket in the bedroom - he says it is "broken" and that it causes the rcd to trip. I've asked him how that can be when there's only been plastering and painting since he checked and told me it was all ok (i.e. no nailing, screwing, drilling, etc.). Furthermore, what I don;t understand is that that socket and all the others in the new ring main worked with the "broken" rcd in place because he had put a cable in the consumer unit going from one part of the consumer unit to another (presumably to bypass the rcd).

Does anyone know what the problem might be? Do we need to run a new cable from the consumer unit to the socket as this will mean taking down a lot of new plaster, etc.?

All your thoughts are much appreciated! Thanks

Sponsored Links
You might wish to discuss this more closely with your builder. Perhaps, get an independent electrician in, let them decide what the fault is, and then if necessary, take the neccessary rectitude issues up with the builder.

Oh dear springs to mind. That builder is as competent electrically as you are. As far as I can see the only option for you is to get an Electrician in and counter charge that builder. Tell him you are going to do this.
The Electrician will be able to tell you exactly what the problem(s) is (are ) and give you an estimate to rectify it.
Good luck.

Until we can get someone in to check it all out and comment do you think its dangerous for us to continue to use the electrics as we do need them. Any idea as to whether it could be a damaged wire (could this cause a fire?)? Presumably if the wire was damaged in any way none of the new sockets would work (which they do). Am just really concerned about safety so any ideas on what we should/shouldn't do until we can get someone in are much appreciated.

On a separate note, can you use JBs on 32A ring mains and if so, are there any special ones you should use (i.e. not the 6A nor 20A used in lighting circuits) as this guy was banging on about using one and I said you can't do so.

Sponsored Links
I don't think anyone can tell you whether or not your installation is safe, so best to assume it's not. I won't commet on the JB issue, as I'm not an electrician.

I really think that this is up to your builder to at least help to sort out. May be that it's nothing to do with his work, but to shrug shoulders, and walk away, is to say the least unprofessional.

aidan1979 said:
On a separate note, can you use JBs on 32A ring mains and if so, are there any special ones you should use (i.e. not the 6A nor 20A used in lighting circuits) as this guy was banging on about using one and I said you can't do so.

Yes you can use a JB on a ring, as long as it is accesible for inspection.
The JB must be correctly rated for the circuit. (usually 30A for ring circuits)

Echoing what others have said, get an electrician in.

If necessary contact your local authority building control office and Trading Standards. If your builder was competent this would not have happened. And as he is clearly not competent he has no business messing about with electrical installations. Yes, there is a potential fire risk. Yes, there is a risk of personal injury.

I take it you have not been issued with an electrical installation certificate for the work? No, of course you haven't.

aidan1979 said:
He now tells me (i.e. as of today!!!) that there is something wrong with the cable between the consumer unit and the first socket in the bedroom - he says it is "broken" and that it causes the rcd to trip.

I'm afraid that comment says it all. If he was even vaguely competent at electrics he would be able to give you more than 'its broken mate'.

aidan1979 said:
Does anyone know what the problem might be? Do we need to run a new cable from the consumer unit to the socket as this will mean taking down a lot of new plaster, etc.?

The problem could be anything to be honest (the main one being your builder thinking he can play with electrics!). If your builder was approved to do the electrical work, he would have the equipment necessary to diagnose the fault.

It could be that the plasterer's trowel nicked the cable while plastering (not unknown) or it could be that the entire wiring is a pile of poo and was never going to work anyway....

More information might help to isolate the problem (how many sockets, whether it really is a ring etc.) but to be honest the only answer is to get someone who knows what they are doing in to check it. Having to replaster a wall is a pain, but nowhere near as much a pain as 240V through your jacksie or through your nearest and dearest!! :eek:

Clearly its something the builder should be covering the cost of - maybe he needs to be informed that if he's done this work without Building Control agreement (unless by some miracle he is registered with a Part P body - which would be even more scary) then he's committed an offence - I doubt being prosecuted would be the sort of publicity he would welcome...

Gavin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back