A Reasonable Quote?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
British Gas has just quoted my mother around £4000 to replace her boiler. I would hate for her to be ripped off and was wondering whether this is a reasonable quote.
She lives in a three bed small to medium detached house which has 8 radiators of various sizes.
The 4k quoted was to replace the old boiler with a suitable sized Worcester Bosch Combi unit(re-siting the new boiler in the now empty bedroom hot water tank cupboard), block up the now redundant exhaust vent hole in the kitchen wall(where the old boiler was sited), fit 6 TRVs, replace the old thermostat and timer units, remove the old hot water and header tanks and associated pipework, and replace the bathroom shower unit with one compatible with a combi boiler(electric I suppose).
Seems like a lot of work but is it £4000's worth of work?

Sponsored Links
Typical BG Tactic, expect to pay £2,000- £3,000 using a reputable Independant Gas Installer :rolleyes:

Being ripped off is a an end user perception.

The party you approach to tender a price to carry out a task offers you a price. If you do not like it, you refuse. Fail to see how you are being ripped off when you have not accepted their price.

Some time ago I repaired a boiler and charged the client £70.00. She was in the process of moving house. Incoming party called me to look at this same boiler but wanted me to diagnose and report the defect but not to carry out repairs. I said there would be a charge which she accepted. Diagnosed the fault into heatstore that was attached to the boiler. Got £65.00 for this to later have the cheque stopped because she felt I had ripped her off for charging yet not repairing.

Sponsored Links
BG have a reputation for being considerably dearer than independent installers.

Nobody should accept the first quotation they are given. Always get two or three, but make sure they are quoting for the same work. They may quote for different boilers but you can always ask them why they recommend that make and compare warranty periods etc.

If you do not know any reputable installers, ask your friends and neighbours. Failing that, Trustmark is a government sponsored database of reliable tradesmen.

Thanks Dextrous and Boilerman2, 4k did seem to be a little steep.

As for you DP, anyone willing to take £4000 pounds off a pensioner for £2-£3000's worth of work,in my view, is ripping them off. Or as you would probably describe it, "maximising profit margins". By the way she had accepted the quote but is now in the process of cancelling.

Many thanks to all of you with scruples.

As for you DP, anyone willing to take £4000 pounds off a pensioner for £2-£3000's worth of work,in my view, is ripping them off.

don't worry about him his scottish tight arses at the best of times ;)

Op, also worcester bosch aren't as good as they used to be. Check on here when you get a quote for the RGI's views on the boilers recommended.

well palerider45- it was a rip off, she got a quote (not qoute), accepted the quote, and now thanks to this forum she knows the truth and has, as you put it "jogged on"

I would expect a local to be about £1500 cheaper and fit a lot better boiler than a Worcester.

Judging by some of the replies it seem Worcester boilers aren't the best.

Any recommendations for a good combi boiler?

****ish gas prey on the elderly and vunerable to rip them off then fit a crap low spec boiler and subcontract the work to a local rgi anyway. Do yourself a favour cut out the middle man and get a better boiler fitted for a fraction of the price.

Worcester are not the worst, that accolade belongs to Ideal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back