A simple job....not!

The water pressure is (in my mind) without a doubt mains pressure. I tied up the ball valve in the tank and emptied it, yet the tap still flowed as normal, as did the outside tap I mentioned.
The water pressure in your house is off the rising main for the kitchen cold tap ans possibly the outside tap.
As you have stored water, the rest of the system is low pressure and not mains

During a bathroom refit, and if the rising main to the CWS is nearby, it is worth running a tee off to the cold tap of the wash basin so that you can brush your teeth with water that doesn't come from a tank with maybe a dead pigeon or squirrel in it :eek::sick: AND you can get a drink in the middle of the night from it! Great for those nights when you've been out on the p**s and have to get up for one in the early hours :sneaky:

Sponsored Links
It's quite common to have a second, mystery supply. I do the plumbing for my local, and the gents toilets at the rear of the pub that was once the only outside toilet has a cold supply that no one knows where it comes from. It has it's own internal stop tap, but before that, there's no way of isolating it.

The landlord recently suggested buying a couple of Cistermisers for the urinals, but I told him not to waste his money, as the urinal cisterns are fed with free water that doesn't come through the metered supply from the front of the pub. Just left the urinals flushing on ordinary pet cocks. They don't block up half as much as other pub's urinals on rationed supplies that keep the polar bear huggers happy.

If I were that landlord I think I might have an 'alternative' indoor supply teed into the outside toilet supply without, of course, mentioning it to the local water board. Presumably, he has a water meter for his main supply.

It's quite common to have a second, mystery supply. I do the plumbing for my local, and the gents toilets at the rear of the pub that was once the only outside toilet has a cold supply that no one knows where it comes from. It has it's own internal stop tap, but before that, there's no way of isolating it.

The landlord recently suggested buying a couple of Cistermisers for the urinals, but I told him not to waste his money, as the urinal cisterns are fed with free water that doesn't come through the metered supply from the front of the pub. Just left the urinals flushing on ordinary pet cocks. They don't block up half as much as other pub's urinals on rationed supplies that keep the polar bear huggers happy.

If I were that landlord I think I might have an 'alternative' indoor supply teed into the outside toilet supply without, of course, mentioning it to the local water board. Presumably, he has a water meter for his main supply.

Hello JBR. Good to see you on here again, albeit in a different department.

Yes, supply from front of pub is metered and utilising the free supply from the rear did cross my mind. However, it would take quite a bit of re-jigging and I think the landlord may then be tempted to put even more of the stuff in his beer. (n) :rolleyes:

Yes, supply from front of pub is metered and utilising the free supply from the rear did cross my mind. However, it would take quite a bit of re-jigging and I think the landlord may then be tempted to put even more of the stuff in his beer. (n) :rolleyes:
Hello again WS.

No, I have resolved not to post again in GD, at least until 'certain circumstances' change. I keep looking in to see how things are going and, to be honest, it has become pretty boring now: just a continual stream of arguments.

I now visit a much better forum for general discussion. If you're interested, let me know.

Sponsored Links
First off I would like to thank everyone for their advice.

I have a few things to work on now to help me try and resolve this problem.

The water pressure is (in my mind) without a doubt mains pressure. I tied up the ball valve in the tank and emptied it, yet the tap still flowed as normal, as did the outside tap I mentioned.
I think, in the short term I am going to go the pipe freeze route. I am really worried about the tap I need to replace. I feel that it will let me down without any notice and then I will be in big trouble. Once I am able to fit an isolation tap I can get on and change it and then think about finding where the supply comes into the house.

I guess this is one of the problems with older houses that have been changed so much over the years.

Again, thank you for your advice. I will let you know how I get on.

Regards
Buster
Really, you HAVE to find out how to turn off the water, as one day it'll be an emergency. Have you looked for the stop tap in the street outside, as has been suggested? Those freeze kits are fine but you have to know what you are are doing plumbing-wise as you won't have that long to sort out the original issue.....

Which is why I posted a link to a pushfit ballofix!

As the op has sumissed: sort the problem tap first then investigate the feed and stopcock issue.

Hello again WS.

No, I have resolved not to post again in GD, at least until 'certain circumstances' change. I keep looking in to see how things are going and, to be honest, it has become pretty boring now: just a continual stream of arguments.

I now visit a much better forum for general discussion. If you're interested, let me know.

Yes, same here and I did join up. Have been away and had flu so not been on the boards much. Will see you there.

Apologies to OP for slight hijack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back