A socket error occurred during the Upload test. Please try again later.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is a "socket error"? I get this every time I do a speed test with the site told to use by the Post Office http://www.supportal-test.co.uk/ the adviser was on the phone at the time, and said I was to do test three times in next 24 hours.

Using the Google speed test I get 8.63 Mbps download and 0.83 Mbps upload, the Post Office site gives 8.7 Mbps download but a pop up window shows
A socket error occurred during the Upload test. Please try again later.
with two buttons retry or cancel and once it comes up it obscures the download reading.

Sponsored Links
I ran the speed test myself, and also got a Socket Error. I was able to continue by clicking Retry. There are many reasons why a Windows Sockets (Winsock) error can come up, one of the usual ones is a program trying to bind TCP on ports 5001 to 5032. It's a shame the speed test site does not specify the error number, as that would make it easier to pinpoint the problem. Here, Google is probably your best friend!

Check your Anti-Virus or Firewall ain't blocking the ports. Easiest way is to disable firewall then run test.

Sponsored Links
Tried again latter and it worked, was also able to upload pictures to face book, Post Office says line OK and they have done nothing, but now everything works, low speed 10 Mbps down load and 0.8 Mbps upload, but it all works. They tell me OpenReach is to come and fit a master socket, I don't have one at moment, and it seems until fitted I can't get anything else done.

Back