A sturdy top to place handles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I'm working on a pretty large project at the moment. There's one part of the project that is absolutely doing my nut in. I have a large MDF floor base, approx 50mm thickness, of which I want to clamp two protruding structures, that a handle can be screwed to.
G7o6hPM.png

It's kind of hard to describe, so maybe this picture will help. Those two protruding structures are what I hope to clamp the handlebars to. My problem really is deciding on exactly how I'm going to model these structures.

As the handles are designed to take a persons weight, they will be pushed back and forth a bit. Since the height of the handles must be at around 1 metre, I can see this causing a lot of leverage, and ripping straight through the MDF.

I need a good solid method to stop these from buckling under a lever like mass.

At this point, I'm thinking of building a support structure with threaded inserts of some description.

My apologies for a vague post, I'm not really looking for someone to do all my work for me, I'm just not all too sure where to even start researching for weight bearing structures!

Sponsored Links
Looks too weak a design for what you intend, what is this to be used for?

Looks too weak a design for what you intend, what is this to be used for?
It's not really a design at this stage. The image just shows what I need. Two points a metre off of a wooden base at which can handle large pressure.

I'm building a platform for a dance video game. The hand rail is the aspect that is causing me the most trouble, as it's ultimately a lever that is required to take a heavy amount of force from a player.

Those uprights must be fixed to a wall, at the very least - maybe with triangulation onto the base.
Steel structure needed here, methinks!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Has this got something to do with having to press the brakes on an auto before it'll start? I've never had anything to do with a modern auto so I don't know, but my mower is like that. Blown bulbs would equal no current flow, so the brake doesn't get seen as being "on"

Just a thought. It sounds crazy to me too!

Those uprights must be fixed to a wall, at the very least - maybe with triangulation onto the base.

Sounds like the right idea. A friend and I decided on a steel support structure last night. I was hoping something would be possible with MDF, since it'd be a lot cheaper, but in the end it's probably just going to be too weak.

Has this got something to do with having to press the brakes on an auto before it'll start? I've never had anything to do with a modern auto so I don't know, but my mower is like that. Blown bulbs would equal no current flow, so the brake doesn't get seen as being "on"

Might be on the wrong thread. :)

Where are the 45 degree angles? I only see 90 degree angles where your uprights join the base.

Sounds like the right idea. A friend and I decided on a steel support structure last night. I was hoping something would be possible with MDF, since it'd be a lot cheaper, but in the end it's probably just going to be too weak.

Might be on the wrong thread. :)

You mean to tell me it hasn't got brakes! :)

Yup! Posted in the wrong thread! Sorry! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back