A tale of 2 quotes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1980s house, verges cracked and falling out, a few slips from the ridge (neighbours is same age and in worse condition). I've decided to get them raked out and re-pointed/bedded. Tried a few local tradesmen based on recommendation and out of the local town booklet.

One no show

One recommendation I tried last year but despite coming out and looking when we weren't around he wouldn't quote for some reason

One turned up, 400 quid for the verges/eves to be raked out and a bit of undercloak that is missing adding and then rebed/repoint all. plus another 130 for support trays with comb to be fitted under the eves. around 4 days work. also pointed out an issue with the guttering where small sections are hanging off at the ends rather than having been "shot right through", it's an issue I recognised already after a neighbours end fell off. was also keen to tell me about his mix of 3 sharp 1 builder to cement if I remember correctly. says he would do it all with a ladder and walking the roof. was happy to tell me which other roofers there are and which ones not to trust (I didn't ask for that info)

Another turned up, suggested that rather than raking out (which is a pain and can break the undercloak) I look at just patching up what needs to be done. Also suggested I consider converting to a dry rather than wet system depending on the condition of the battens (a house over the road had a retro dry system changed back to wet on recommendation from a roofer) . 1100 quid and the same amount of time (for full rake and rebed not patch). no mention of mixes or ladder vs scaffold etc

I don't know why, but I have a better feeling about the much cheaper guy, is his price indicative of someone who could do a good job or who is likely to cut corners?

4 bed detached property, I know it's difficult to go off so little info

thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
repointing isn't really a good job. invariably the new mortar will fall out in the not too distant future.
rebed is the way forward

thanks, the larger quote is definatly for rebedding (although it missed the support trays) I will check the lower one as that might be the difference

Sponsored Links
Says he uses a ladder
He'll have difficulty strapping it to his horse, let alone doing a proper job on a verge off one.

And anyone who recommends repointing on a roof, or even lets the customer request it, should be thrown off a roof for the wider public good.

Then he needs a hidden surveillance camera on him @ your house (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back