A thread for discussing "when is a Transformer not a Transformer" (technical and semantic)

So are the people who make this ignorant?

screenshot_1201.jpg

What about Amazon? Are they also ignorant?

feature-goesbeyondabook4._CB271928979_.jpg

Off topic for this thread.

Sponsored Links
==============================================
As far as suppliers are concerned, and therefore as far as DIY users are concerned. "Electronic Transformers" is in common use and easily understood, whether you like it or not.

We've had enough nonsense over this. Therefore the use of the term will be allowed in this forum, and those declaring its use as incorrect, outside of this thread, will be deemed Unhelpful. Further such posts by you may be deleted without comment.
Mod
===============================================

BUT. It is a name coined by ignorant manufacturers and propagated by ignorant electricians who don't understand what a transformer is.

Are you one of those?

I know very well what they are.
But it's not relevant.
Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic for this thread.
No it is not.

It may be off-topic for you with your specific obsession, if discussing the existence of electronic cigarettes, or electronic books would create too much cognitive dissonance, but for everyone else it is very much on-topic.

You are free, of course, to ignore it by the simple expedient of leaving this topic, and never returning to it, or any future one like it. Unless you do that, it remains on-topic, and the on-topic nature of it will continue to be forced on you.

So, are the people who make this ignorant?

screenshot_1201.jpg

What about Amazon? Are they also ignorant?

feature-goesbeyondabook4._CB271928979_.jpg

Sponsored Links
Completely off topic for this thread.
Absolute nonsense - it could hardly be more on-topic.

It may be off-topic for you with your specific obsession, if discussing the existence, or not, of those animals would create too much cognitive dissonance, but for everyone else it is very much on-topic.

You are free, of course, to ignore it by the simple expedient of leaving this topic, and never returning to it, or any future one like it. Unless you do that, it remains on-topic, and the on-topic nature of it will continue to be forced on you.

It is such a simple question - it only requires a short (2 or 3 letter) one-word answer from you. You must know the answer, so you're not being expected to do any work to find it out.

Do you believe that these exist?

screenshot_1202.jpg

Yes or no?

PS - do you genuinely believe, BTW, that people here are not fully aware of the real reason you are refusing to answer any of these questions?

Last edited:
the electrical world
This is not electrical:

sky-earth-galaxy-universe.jpg

It may have some electricity in it, in the same way that an electronic transformer has a transformer in it.

But an electrical world?

Doesn't exist.

If there was poll to see who was the most staggeringly ignorant - an electronics manufacturer for claiming the existence of an electronic transformer, or you for claiming the existence of an electrical world, who do you think would win?

This is not electrical:

sky-earth-galaxy-universe.jpg

It may have some electricity in it, in the same way that an electronic transformer has a transformer in it.

But an electrical world?

Doesn't exist.

If there was poll to see who was the most staggeringly ignorant - an electronics manufacturer for claiming the existence of an electronic transformer, or you for claiming the existence of an electrical world, who do you think would win?

Once again, off topic.

Once again you seem to think that your pathetic attempts to dismiss things which are very much on topic will be believed by anybody.

You used the term "electrical world", and then you declare that it is "off-topic"?

The reality is that you are utterly terrified of answering the questions I have asked, and of addressing the "electrical world" point because you think that if you do then your idiocy will be laid bare.

There is no need to fear that - we are already fully aware of your idiocy - answering the questions won't do you any damage.

You can't pretend to us, and I suspect you cannot pretend to yourself.

Still - at least the mods have finally shut you down, so this topic has produced a happy outcome

BAS makes a good point, the whole world is electrical from its magnet core outwards, there is simply no non electrical world. We do have new words often connected with the person who discovered it, a Tesla coil for example, and some words do have a very defined definition a watt is a joule per second, there are some bad words like kilowatt/hour it should be measured in joules, but transformer is not one of them, if it transforms then it is a transformer, we define the transformer with extra words like tordanal, or auto and some times there is another word or phrase like choke, inductance, which also describe it.

I would agree the isolation transformer should not be really called a transformer, but the electronic transformer does transform the volts, amps and frequency so does more transforming to one which does not transform the frequency, they do in general do one thing most transformers do not, they regulate. However the regulation is a small part of the whole, so calling them transformers has to be right, in the main they are called electronic transformers so you do know it's not a simple inductive device. But they are transformers there is no way you could say anything else.

BAS makes a good point, the whole world is electrical from its magnet core outwards, there is simply no non electrical world. We do have new words often connected with the person who discovered it, a Tesla coil for example, and some words do have a very defined definition a watt is a joule per second, there are some bad words like kilowatt/hour it should be measured in joules, but transformer is not one of them, if it transforms then it is a transformer, we define the transformer with extra words like tordanal, or auto and some times there is another word or phrase like choke, inductance, which also describe it.

I would agree the isolation transformer should not be really called a transformer, but the electronic transformer does transform the volts, amps and frequency so does more transforming to one which does not transform the frequency, they do in general do one thing most transformers do not, they regulate. However the regulation is a small part of the whole, so calling them transformers has to be right, in the main they are called electronic transformers so you do know it's not a simple inductive device. But they are transformers there is no way you could say anything else.

I disagree. The definition of transformer in the electrical world is that it works by magnetic induction (which of course covers an isolation transformer) and as such they DO NOT change the frequency.

SMPS do more than one thing that transformers don't. They can regulate, they change frequency, they cause rf interference, and what is more they don't work with 12volt AC LED packages.

Electronic transformer is a name coined by ignorant manufacturers and propagated by ignorant electricians who don't understand what a transformer is. The correct name is SMPS.

Last edited:
Tell me Winston - do you believe that these exist?

screenshot_1202.jpg

It's a genuine, serious, important question - do you believe that there's any such thing as those little animals?

WINSTON pleaser answer, im intriqued by the connection.

I have already told you it is OFF TOPIC.
You have, but you are wrong.

You could post that incorrect assertion on the hour for the rest of your life and it would still be wrong.

But then you know that, which is why you are too scared to answer the question.

As is your atrocious spelling: pleaser, im.
More deflection.

Another pathetic snivelling attempt to distract people from focussing on the egregiousness of your incorrect claims.

Another failed attempt which makes you even more laughable.

What have little furry animals to do with transformers?
Answer the question and that will become clear.

WINSTON pleaser answer, im intriqued by the connection.
I doubt he will, as I suspect he knows why he mustn't, from his POV.

But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt - he has not been back to the forum since I suggested that if he answers the question the relevance will become clear, so let's see if he does.

If he is right, and it is off topic, then that will also be made clear, surely?

If he is right, what can he possibly have to lose by answering?

But if he does return to the forum and doesn't answer, I will make the relevance clear.

[EDIT]Spleling misteak corretced[/EDIT]

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back