'Spin-off' Discussions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are periodic moans (or, at least, comments) about the way that ‘spin-off’ discussions often take over a thread after the OP has been dealt with as well as it can be (often in just a few posts, nearly always within a page or two) – and I am obviously a conspicuous culprit. Not only does this annoy some people who have no interest in the ‘spin-off discussion’, and potentially confuse OPs, but it also has some impact on those who are potentially interested, since the thread title often gives little or no clue as to the presence or nature of the wider discussion.

Goodness knows whether it’s going to prove practical (or whether I will keep it up!) but I, for one, am going to try to make a conscious effort to move such spin-offs into separate threads. The most obvious difficulty will be in deciding when we have reached the point at which the wider discussion is likely to be of no interest/relevance to the OP, so I’ll just have to see how it works. If it does work reasonably well, then maybe some others may decide to follow my practice.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I had eggs Florentine for lunch. What's your opinion on home-grown spinach?

I hope you can make it work. I get a lot of interest and information from the spin-offs, but have on occasion found out later that I missed a few good contributions because I'd got as far as the answer to the OP and then not followed the thread on later days.

I had eggs Florentine for lunch. What's your opinion on home-grown spinach?
Hmmm - spin-off discussions usually bear some relationship, even if a bit tenuous, to the subject of the OP :) I hope you enjoyed it!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I hope you can make it work. I get a lot of interest and information from the spin-offs, but have on occasion found out later that I missed a few good contributions because I'd got as far as the answer to the OP and then not followed the thread on later days.
Yes, that's consistent with my thinking. One other side-effect of trying to do it is that the number of views that a spin-off thread gets will serve as a crude indication of how much interest there is in such discussions.

Kind Regards, John

Great idea, bur how will we know its a spin-off?

Maybe the original title with a prefix of 1, 2 or 3 for the relevant spin-offs?

Great idea, bur how will we know its a spin-off?
I thought that I would probbaly indicate that (with a link to the original thread) at the start of the new 'OP'.
Maybe the original title with a prefix of 1, 2 or 3 for the relevant spin-offs?
I don't think that would be a good idea, since at least one of the reasons for trying it is so that the title of the 'spin-off' thread actually reflects what it's about, and dissociates itself from the (probably totally different) title of the original.

Kind Regards, John

Good point, think I'm over complicating it a bit

Good point, think I'm over complicating it a bit
Agreed. You will probably have seen that I started a 'spin-off' thread an hour or two ago, and you can see from that (and the corresponding original thread) how I have handled the interaction between new and old threads. What do you think?

Kind Regards, John

One interesting point is that if we give some of the 'spin-off' threads 'honest' titles, the mods may well move them - perhaps even to GD :)

Kind Regards, John

If you wish to discuss the percentages (or spinach/sorrel), I suggest that you start a new ('spin-off') thread :)
I don't need to discuss the percentages.

'Spinach' Discussions is clearly a better than 95% match for 'Spin-off' Discussions.

Did you have a threshold % in mind?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back