A thread for discussing "when is a Transformer not a Transformer" (technical and semantic)

Sponsored Links
So - thanks to Rocky's intervention Winston escapes having to either again claim it was off topic, or to be seen, without doubt, to be ignoring the question.

But yes - that of course was it.

there is NO SUCH THING as an electronic transformer. It is a name coined by ignorant manufacturers and propagated by ignorant electricians who don't understand what a transformer is.
And yet he thinks that he can ignore the fact that he has no objection to "electronic cigarette", even though they aren't "cigarettes", and he insults everyone here by expecting them to believe that it's "off topic" to point that out.

He thinks that he can ignore the fact that he has no objection to "electronic book", even though they aren't "books", and he insults everyone here by expecting them to believe that it's "off topic" to point that out.

We do not know whether he accepts that guinea pigs exist even though they are not from Guinea nor are they pigs, but I think it's safe to assume that he does believe that they exist.

==============================================
As far as suppliers are concerned, and therefore as far as DIY users are concerned. "Electronic Transformers" is in common use and easily understood, whether you like it or not.

We've had enough nonsense over this. Therefore the use of the term will be allowed in this forum, and those declaring its use as incorrect, outside of this thread, will be deemed Unhelpful. Further such posts by you may be deleted without comment.
Mod
===============================================

I believe that even in this thread, saying "there is no such thing as an electronic transformer" should be treated as what it is - a lie, and the person saying it "umpteen times" should be treated as what he is - a serial liar.

Sponsored Links
So - thanks to Rocky's intervention Winston escapes having to either again claim it was off topic, or to be seen, without doubt, to be ignoring the question.

But yes - that of course was it.

And yet he thinks that he can ignore the fact that he has no objection to "electronic cigarette", even though they aren't "cigarettes", and he insults everyone here by expecting them to believe that it's "off topic" to point that out.

He thinks that he can ignore the fact that he has no objection to "electronic book", even though they aren't "books", and he insults everyone here by expecting them to believe that it's "off topic" to point that out.

We do not know whether he accepts that guinea pigs exist even though they are not from Guinea nor are they pigs, but I think it's safe to assume that he does believe that they exist.

I believe that even in this thread, saying "there is no such thing as an electronic transformer" should be treated as what it is - a lie, and the person saying it "umpteen times" should be treated as what he is - a serial liar.

Been out all day today. Little furry animals, guinea pigs, are definitely OFF TOPIC on a thread devoted to transformers and SMPS as I stated earlier.

Also as I stated earlier there is NO SUCH THING as an electronic transformer. It is a name coined by ignorant manufacturers and propagated by ignorant electricians who don't understand what a transformer is.

Well we may be ignorant and occasionally mistype words, yet we don't think a 4Kw oven uses less than 0.02 Amps and even when corrected still say it does and try to belittle the people who confront your ramblings, advise like that is more dangerous than a mistyped word or a missed apostrophe.
So congratulations on becoming the most unwelcome poster on the forum.

Been out all day today. Little furry animals, guinea pigs, are definitely OFF TOPIC on a thread devoted to transformers and SMPS as I stated earlier.
Are they?

I know you stated that earlier, but as with so many things, your barking mad statements do not influence reality.

I dare you to prove that it's off-topic by answering the simple question - do you believe that they exist - yes or no.

Feel free to confirm what everybody, including you, knows, which is that it's not off topic, either by ignoring the question, or once again falsely, and with zero credibility, claiming that it is.

Also as I stated earlier there is NO SUCH THING as an electronic transformer.
Stop lying.

Stop lying.

When I accused you of lying you went off and sulked for a couple of months, and everyone kept asking what had happened to you.

Don't expect me to act so childishly.

By the way little furry animals are off topic, but if it pleases you of course they exist. I had one as a pet when I was a child. But it had nothing to do with transformers or SMPS.

When I accused you of lying you went off and sulked for a couple of months, and everyone kept asking what had happened to you.
FWIW, when you did that you did it on the "basis" that I had said something which I had not, and which you clearly fabricated - within the space of a few posts you decided to claim I'd written something which I patently had not, and you then decided that as what you had invented would have been untrue, I must have lied.

But anyway...

Don't expect me to act so childishly.
I didn't say it because I expected you to do that (as much as we would all love it).

I said it because you are lying.

Electronic transformers do exist, as well you know - there is abundant evidence of which you are fully aware for their existence. Therefore every time you say "there is NO SUCH THING as an electronic transformer" you are saying something which you know to be untrue, Therefore you are lying.

I am not fabricating this:

there is NO SUCH THING as an electronic transformer.
You really did write that.

Stop lying.

By the way little furry animals are off topic, but if it pleases you of course they exist.
How can that possibly be the case, Winston?

If "electronic transformers" do not exist because they are not "transformers", and because the name was coined by ignorant manufacturers and propagated by ignorant electricians who don't understand what a transformer is, how can guinea pigs exist when they are not from Guinea and they are not pigs, and their name was coined and propagated by ignorant people who didn't understand where they were from or what they were?

If you think you are justified in lying about the reality of electronic transformers because you think the name was wrongly coined by ignorant manufacturers and propagated by ignorant electricians who don't understand what a transformer is, why do you accept the existence of a rodent whose name was wrongly coined and propagated by ignorant people who didn't understand where they were from or what they were?

But it had nothing to do with transformers or SMPS.
It has everything to do with your so-called "justification" for telling lies.

For pity's sake.

People are ignorant of the way LED lighting operates and this is because the marketing industry is also ignorant and uses the wrong terminalogy. One major supplier is selling 12 volt fixed voltage "electronic transformers" as LED drivers. LED Drivers control current to suit the LED elements. What they are selling is a voltage source or power supply.

The devices labeled as "electronic transformers" are power supplies that may be designed to provide a constant voltage. ( power supply ) or a constant current ( LED driver )

99% of these will have a transformer inside them along with a variable number of other components. These components create a high frequency chopped supply to the primary of the transformer which allows for the transformer to be a very small item.

So we have two basic types of "electronic transformer" but both are labelled as "electronic transformer". The first type supplies a constant voltage and the secnd type supplies a constant current. Some of the constant current type are known as LED drivers as that is what they are designed for. to drive a constant current through an LED element. Most LED lamps have this current driver ( or something similar ) fitted inside the lamp. These lamps require a constant voltage supply, they do not need and probably will not work if supplied with a constant current from an "electronic transformer" has been sold as an LED driver. Using an LED driver to force a current through the lamps with internal LED driver may damage the lamps and / or the LED driver usedas its power source.

For pity's sake.

People are ignorant of the way LED lighting operates and this is because the marketing industry is also ignorant and uses the wrong terminalogy. One major supplier is selling 12 volt fixed voltage "electronic transformers" as LED drivers. LED Drivers control current to suit the LED elements. What they are selling is a voltage source or power supply.

The devices labeled as "electronic transformers" are power supplies that may be designed to provide a constant voltage. ( power supply ) or a constant current ( LED driver )

99% of these will have a transformer inside them along with a variable number of other components. These components create a high frequency chopped supply to the primary of the transformer which allows for the transformer to be a very small item.

So we have two basic types of "electronic transformer" but both are labelled as "electronic transformer". The first type supplies a constant voltage and the secnd type supplies a constant current. Some of the constant current type are known as LED drivers as that is what they are designed for. to drive a constant current through an LED element. Most LED lamps have this current driver ( or something similar ) fitted inside the lamp. These lamps require a constant voltage supply, they do not need and probably will not work if supplied with a constant current from an "electronic transformer" has been sold as an LED driver. Using an LED driver to force a current through the lamps with internal LED driver may damage the lamps and / or the LED driver usedas its power source.

Thankyou Bernad. So you would agree the name "electronic transformer" was coined by ignorant manufacturers and propagated by ignorant electricians who don't understand what a transformer is

how can guinea pigs exist when they are not from Guinea and they are not pigs, and their name was coined and propagated by ignorant people who didn't understand where they were from or what they were?

guinea pigs (the animal has a lower case letter), Guinea (the place has an upper case letter), so not the same.

So you would agree the name "electronic transformer" was coined by ignorant manufacturers and propagated by ignorant electricians

Not ignorant electrians but electricians easily led by the marketing people who can no longer be trusted to tell the truth ( or the whole truth ) about new technology if to do so would compromise sales.

Not ignorant electrians but electricians easily led by the marketing people who can no longer be trusted to tell the truth ( or the whole truth ) about new technology if to do so would compromise sales.

Sad, but the mods on here are also easily led and are deleting truthful posts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back