A thread for discussing "when is a Transformer not a Transformer" (technical and semantic)

I'm here.
Unacceptable.

Please go away immediately

For the umpteenth time there is NO SUCH THING as an electronic transformer.
Yes there is. There's a photo of one above.

It is a name coined
So in other words there are such things.

by ignorant manufacturers and propagated by ignorant electricians who don't understand what a transformer is.
No, the name coined is electronic transformer.

The correct name is SMPT.
Electronic transformer is a name commonly given to SMPSs marketed for the purpose of supplying ELV lighting. It really is.

It really doesn't matter how much you dislike it - you can dislike it to the extent that it shortens your life - that won't change the fact that there really are things called electronic transformers.

A transformer does not change frequency.
No, but an electronic transformer might.

It is a wire wound device that works by electromagnetic induction.
An electronic transformer does not, or at least not entirely.

Really Winston, your work here is done, for two reasons:

1) Nobody, nobody at all, is ever, ever, EVER going to agree with you that things which patently exist do not exist just because you don't like their name.

2) You cannot possibly make yourself look any more pointless and ridiculous than you already have.

Sponsored Links
A transformer does not change frequency.
Who says? Why not? Why can it not transform frequency?

It is a wire wound device that works by electromagnetic induction.
Who says? Why can it not do it in another way?

It usually changes voltage or current but there are special 1:1 isolation types that don't even do that.
How can they be transformers if they do not transform anything?

It is a name coined by ignorant manufacturers.
So are the people who make this ignorant?

screenshot_1201.jpg

What about Amazon? Are they also ignorant?

feature-goesbeyondabook4._CB271928979_.jpg

Last edited:
Who says? Why not? Why can it not transform frequency?

Who says? Why can it not do it in another way?

How can they be transformers if they do not transform anything?

In electrical terms a transformer works by electromagnetic induction. Simple two or more coils on an iron core. Frequency won't be changed.

Sponsored Links
AND The word transformer (English or Latin) isn't limited by electrical terms.

It is in the electrical world.

==============================================
As far as suppliers are concerned, and therefore as far as DIY users are concerned. "Electronic Transformers" is in common use and easily understood, whether you like it or not.

We've had enough nonsense over this. Therefore the use of the term will be allowed in this forum, and those declaring its use as incorrect, outside of this thread, will be deemed Unhelpful. Further such posts by you may be deleted without comment.
Mod
===============================================

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope - not good enough, you still only look as stupid as you already did. You have to up your game, Winston - you cannot keep relying on this and this alone. To increase the level of your stupidity you are going to have to start denying that electronic cigarettes and electronic books exist, that there are no such things, and that their names were coined by ignorant manufacturers and propagated by ignorant businesses who don't understand what cigarettes and books are.

Tell me Winston - do you believe that these exist?

screenshot_1202.jpg

It's a genuine, serious, important question - do you believe that there's any such thing as those little animals?

======================================
Pleast note comment
Above
Mod
======================================

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have noted it, and I think it's a great step forward. Dunno why you added that to my post though.

I wonder if W will answer, tell us whether he believes those cute little rodents exist or not.

The correct name is SMPT.

As a designer of SMPSUs, what the heck is a SMPT? I've never heard the acronym. Did you make this up because it certainly isn't the correct term?

Has been used for Switch Mode Power TRANSMITTER by some radio engineers who have been turned out to attend to failing equipment only to discover there is a recently installed "electronic transformer" spreading muck across the RF spectrum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back