A tight corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a steel-framed studio, as large as possible, in the back yard.

See sketch. At one corner, the distance from the steel to two adjacent existing walls is very tight (ca. 180mm at the worst case).

The front part of the building is cedar on timber battens on ply on timber studs,with plaster board finish to the interior. But this corner of the building is not visible from anywhere so it doesn't much matter what we build it from - as long as it's cheap! I'm keen to keep the relationship between the steels and the wall construction as shown but beyond that, I'm open to suggestions.

Any thoughts on this?

Attachments

• scan02720.jpg
    scan02720.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 128
  • scan02725.jpg
    scan02725.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 130
Sponsored Links
I suppose I was hoping for some constructive suggestions. I think I'll have to take down the higher wall, but hopefully I can retain the lower wall at the back.

I've got an almost similar situation with my shed. Not a standard shed, so I can't pull it out for repairs.

The two side panels which meet in a corner are rotten, and a fence and bushes prevent access from external.

I've been thinking of making a panel in upvc ship lap that will be hidden by the fence, (the visible parts are cedar) and can be slid in sideways between the frame and the fence, and then pulled back against the frame and fixed with brackets.

For the joint seal at the external corner, I'm looking at a compressible neoprene 'O' profile or something similar. With some sort of grooved vertical plastic channel or 'L' profile cover strip, this should make a good seal.

Sponsored Links
I'm playing with a hook and batten idea... but I feel like I'm missing something.

I have played with a corrugated shed in a situation like yours. Problem 1, is that you must have a good deep open ditch between the concrete base and the wall so that rain water can soak away/flow around the base to your drainage point. And the second is that the deep slot will fill with leaves and detritus so I think should be filled or covered over to preclude this happening. Tree roots will eventually get through the retaining wall, so trees must be avoided. For these panels I think pre-cast concrete panels from a garage would be ideal. The construction then would have to closely follow their dimensions.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back