a tricky question!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a question for very experienced builders/engineers/technicians.

My next door neighbour's house is built on what I believe to be artificially raised land i.e it has been illegally built. However the houses were built about 90 years ago, so it was not done by the present occupants.

I am now looking to build an extension, however when digging the foundations, the house next door could collapse because of artificial height!

My question is this- who is liable, if my neighbours house collapses? Me as I am building the extension or my neighbour? Note, that this would not be an issue if my neighbours house was not built on the same level as my house!

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Even if your neighbours land was artificially raised, the foundations will be on solid ground.

This does not necessarily mean that they go as deep as you need them to be, nor should you expect them to be.

If it is the case that you risk undermining their foundations then you will have to take measures to ensure there is no risk of damage I.e. hit and miss foundation dig etc.

Sponsored Links
so the house has stood there quite happily for 90 years
your going to dig around near its foundations
and if it falls down you think you can somehow pass the blame?

amazing

Find an engineer who can design foundations / temporary works that will ensure your neighbour's house does not collapse.

This seems appropriate

4G78uX.gif

:LOL:

You neighbour has a legal right of support. If you undermine that support, even on your own land, you will be liable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back