A wiring question from a novice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a two gang two way switch, where only one switch has ever worked.

The switch on the left controls a light in the hallway, this light is also controlled by another switch elsewhere in the hall.
The switch on the right should control an outside light - it's not worked since I've moved in to the house though. I'd like to fix it now.

I've taken the faceplate off to have a look at what the issue was - I was hoping for a loose connection - but am confused by what I'm seeing. I was expecting to see a bridge between common and common, but instead there's one between common and L1. I've also noted I have two shades of brown wire (is that even a thing? It feels like it really shouldn't be a thing!) and on the left, the darker brown goes to common, and on the right it goes to L2 - marked with a red dot on the photo. Does this look okay or is there something visibly off? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3152.JPG
    IMG_3152.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
What type of external light? I would suspect a failed fitting before a switch problem .

What type of external light? I would suspect a failed fitting before a switch problem .
It’s a bog standard outdoor light from a diy store. I actually replaced it a few years ago for cosmetic reasons at the request of my wife - its predecessor didn’t work either, which is why I suspect it’s not an issue with the light itself.

It’s a bog standard outdoor light from a diy store. I actually replaced it a few years ago for cosmetic reasons at the request of my wife - its predecessor didn’t work either, which is why I suspect it’s not an issue with the light itself.
But is there power at light when switched.

Sponsored Links
The light doesn’t turn on and its predecessor didn’t either.
I don’t have any equipment to test whether power is getting to the light though.

I think I show where each colour forms a cable
Green being a 3C&E to the other switch of a 2 way system
Yellow being the Live supply to the switch
Purple being a T&E switched live to the halllight that works

To that point it seems to be appropriate. Then it gets a bit tricky to see the cable sheaths and where these go in the top left corner so points to a blue wire:

Red being a 3C&E to the other switch of a 2 way system
Grey being the a T&E switched live to the outside light that doesn't work .
1708192449762.png

I see several scenarios, so I'll require more information:
Can you confirm my coloured arrows do indicate wires froming a cable, particularly Red and Grey, I've numbered them to help you correct me

What cable do you have at the outside light? T&E (brown/blue) or 3C&E (brown/black/grey)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back