A1 house alarm stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My A1 AJ600 alarm that was fitted in 1990 has suddenly stopped working. I was at home yesterday with the alarm on standby. The MAINS ON and DAY lights were both illuminated.
The outside sounder started going and the internal sounder started to make a loud regular clicking noise, totaly different to its normal sound.

When I went to the control panel, only the MAINS ON lamp was on, I pressed reset followed by the user code to try to silence the alarm but I noticed that as I pressed reset, none of the buttons did anything. I removed the fuse at the mains consumer unit and the MAINS ON lamp went out and the internal sounder stopped. The external sounder was still going and I had to remove the Batt link inside the bell box to stop it.

I thought perhaps the fuses and/or the back-up battery inside the control unit had failed, (it is 20 years old) and when I checked it there was only 3 volts at the terminals. But when I disconnected it the voltage quickly climbed to 12.8 volts and after an hour had risen to just over 13

I removed and checked the two fuses from inside the control panel, both are OK. I put the fuses back and re-connected the battery but the voltage dropped to 3 volts and the control panel is still dead so I disconnected it again.

All the connections to the circuit board are OK and I've removed the keypad and circuit board to look for signs of overheating but can't find any.

Is there anything else I can check?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Your battery is duff.Power the panel from the mains only , make sure it still works , check for a charge voltage at the battery leads , if all ok , get a replacement battery.

Thank God for this forum and Denford1.

It was the battery. I've just fitted a new one and all is well. I should have known better than to expect a lead-acid battery to perform for 20 years. (I'm lucky to get 4 winters from my car battery).

My sincere thanks to you and all at Diynot.

Can anyone advise what is a good replacement battery for the AJ600N ?? Much obliged.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back