Aargh! Help! New guttering, now a massive hole in plaster!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Having new guttering & fascias fitted today on my 1930s semi with solid walls. Bashing in the pieces of wood that hold up the fascias has made a load of plaster fall off the wall in one of the upstairs rooms that I've recently decorated. Bit fed up, as painting isn't my favourite job and now I'm going to have to get a plasterer out and then repaint all over again.

Is this a normal hazard of having this kind of work done? I am now panicking about the other bedrooms - is there something I can ask to be done to stop it happening elsewhere as well?? I really, really don't want to have to redecorate the entire top floor.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I should add, the roofer seems like a really nice bloke so I don't want to criticise/complain - just want to avoid any further problems.

Do let him know what's happening....it may curb his exuberance a bit!
There's a good chance the plaster was loose already, of course.
John :)

That's some bashing if it's bringing down plaster.
What is he bashing and why?

Sponsored Links
The old fascias were attached to the house with bits of wood that slotted into the brickwork (sorry, I have no idea what they would be called technically!). These have been removed and they are hammering new ones in to support new fascias. I have solid walls, so I guess these pieces are closer to the layer of plaster than normal?? It seems to have come straight through!!

He's a nice guy and now knows what's happening and is going to plaster back over the damage, so that's good. I will just have to get me paint brush back out!!

The old fascias were attached to the house with bits of wood that slotted into the brickwork (sorry, I have no idea what they would be called technically!). These have been removed and they are hammering new ones in to support new fascias. I have solid walls, so I guess these pieces are closer to the layer of plaster than normal?? It seems to have come straight through!!

He's a nice guy and now knows what's happening and is going to plaster back over the damage, so that's good. I will just have to get me paint brush back out!!

That technical term is called 'pluggin' .......and the same technique was used to secure skirtings in the days of yore.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back