Abergas HTM boiler

Fek showing my age yet again yeah i remember the C52 round boiler and burner removed from the bottom.
First one i ever done i took out all the screws out either side holding the two halves of the jacket together . :oops: took ages as opposed to minutes it took properly

Sponsored Links
He is still around, and gave me an excellent overview of three-phase technology recently. I will try to tap him up for info if anyone's interested.

Not sure what connection three phase supplies have to domestic boilers.

I spent a little time with the BBC at their Droitwich LF transmitting station where they had some interesting old equipment from the 1930s.

One was a facinating thing called a "synchroscope" (?) which had a large 360 degree meter and was used to synchronise the diesel generators with the mains power supply. When the pointer was stationary at the top you closed the 11 kV oil circuit breaker and moved the diesel throttle lever to maximum!

I never really felt very comfortable because things would be nasty if you got it wrong with 475 kVa alternators!

View media item 36050
View media item 36051

I had one installed in January 1970 to replace a solid fuel coal boiler used for central heating. It was fantastic!
The principal was based on new space-age technology. The water capacity was only about 2 pints & a larger than normal water pump was used to push the water to the radiators. The only problem I can recollect was the need for a new pump which was more expensive the a standard one. It was exceptionally efficient. We had a newborn baby at the time & left the heating on 24 hours a day throughout the winter. We halved our fuel bill instantly!
I think the factory was based in Abergavenny (hence the name) & was supported by the Government of the day. Ten years later we sold the house & it was still working OK altho' a bit noisy.

:)

Sponsored Links
If the factory was in Abergavenny, (makes sense with the name), then could well explain why i'd never heard of it round here! :)

I remember the Abergas boiler was featured on `Tomorrows World' on the TV and they were very impressed with the efficiency saying how the flue gases were only just too hot to keep your hand in the exiting gases.
When the Abergas came out most gas boilers in the UK were floor standing open flued with a cast iron heat exchanger & atmospheric burner, hoovering up the dust & dog hairs etc. from the kitchen floor & often short cycling away heating a gravity fed hot water cylinder.
I knew a gas fitter in Slough who used to rave about the Abergas and said that other boilers were just a flame under a cast iron tank by comparison!
He was into efficiency & also liked the Radiation Crystalglo gas fire which some may remember (glass fronted radiants with a thermostatically controlled modulating burner).
I don't know whether he was right but he reckoned, in a bid to increase reliability, Abergas experimented with a cast iron HE but that wasn't that successful (and was less efficient).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back