AC to DC ... ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need someone to clear something up for me please!! a RECTIFIER transforms AC to DC doesn't it?? DOES a diodie do the same thing??

Sponsored Links
what do you suppose a rectifier is made from?

A transfomer transforms ac from one voltage to another be it up or down.

a rectifier rcetifies it from ac to dc.

one diode in series will only give half wave rectification (only makes it half true dc.

it does this by only letting say the top half of the ac cyle through so you get something like n n n n n n (cant do sine wave on keyboard)

for full wave rectification you need 4 diodes two pairs back to back in a sort of square on its point side shape.

ac comes in at the top and bottom and +ve comes out the left and -ve comes out the right (square , on its point side / diamond shape remember)

how ever this is not true dc, its almost though. there is a slight dip in it, to remove the slight dip you add a capacitor this then makes it true dc.

the value of the diodes and capacitor depend on what the voltage / current is.

the capacitor also adds 50% of the voltage too, so a 9v trnsformer will give around 13 v

power supplies have more "bits" to hold the voltage stable and use a higher voltage in the first place

thanks for this info breezer. really helpful. going to read over it slowly!! thanks again.

Sponsored Links
see, just like i said a square on its side, and they have chosen to draw it through 90 degrees so ac comes in at the sides, so long as its configured right the shape doesn't matter, but it was easier to understand in words if (as i did) say a square on its side.

they even have the sine wave drawigs that i said :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back