Accenta G4 mini transformer rating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Can someone tell me the rating of the power supply transformer in an Accenta G4 mini panel?

It had been buzzing for a long time and now it has died. I've got 240v going in but nothing coming out.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
The power rating should be on the alarm system nameplate and can be confirmed by measuring the volume of the transformer and comparing this with the volumes of 230vac transformers of known power ratings from online catalogs.

The secondary voltage can be inferred from the voltage rating of the filter capacitor that the transformer feeds through diodes.
E.g., a 12 vac output voltage is multiplied by sqrt(2) to get 17 peak volts. To allow for capacitor voltage derating they might use a 25 or 30 volt capacitor.

There may not be that many choices for transformers of this type so you may not need to know the power and voltage to much accuracy.

Sponsored Links
What caused it to fail though? Was the battery hot?

I'd just buy a new unit, not worth farting around with something that cheap.

What caused it to fail though? Was the battery hot?

I'd just buy a new unit, not worth farting around with something that cheap.

I don't know, because it happened when I went on holiday (Typical). The next door neighbour sent me a text to say that she seen the strobe flashing on the bell box when she was walking home from work, so it must have went off at some point and switched off after the 20 minutes.

Then a few days later she contacted me to say the alarm was going off and it wouldn’t stop, but it wasn’t as loud as usual and was making funny chirping and whistling noises, and of coarse this had to happen at around midnight.

So after I got back from holidays and tested it. I found the transformer was dead. So it must have lost power, went onto the battery, then the battery went flat, then the bell box batteries kicked in.

Output on ade optima transformers should be around 17.5 v ac

What sort of current rating would I need? Would something like this do?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chassis-T...quipment_ET&hash=item43bcdc28d5#ht_1805wt_887

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The power rating ~~ ~~ can be confirmed by measuring the volume of the transformer and comparing this with the volumes of 230vac transformers of known power ratings from online catalogs.

Absolute RUBBISH and DANGEROUS advice.
I find your remarks defamatory. And false. And if you know they're false then you are lying.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. . .

And if you know they're false then you are lying.
I spoke bluntly because you gave very bad advice.

Two transformers with identical power and voltage ratings will not be the same "volume" unless they are also exactly the same type of construction.

Single Bobbin,
One winding on top of the other

Split Bobbin,
Each winding has its own compartment in a single bobbin

Twin Bobbin, E and I core
Each winding has its own bobbin on the same part of the core

Twin Bobbin, C and I core
Each winding has its own bobbin on the different parts of the core.

Various forms of toriodal.

Then there is encapsulated or non encapsulated.

Then there is permitted temperature rise above ambient temperature.

Help the OP if you can.
Otherwise post some volumes & power levels of catalog transformers of the type used in alarm systems and I will tell you how closely power tracks volume.

It all comes down to how close you need to be in sizing this device.

BTW, I talked to some lawyers where I work out about suing a poster on another forum who harassed and defamed me relentlessly.
It turns out I'd have to show 'damages', to my reputation or my company business, and since my username was made up he was only defaming my username.
Interestingly enough, this jealous electrician used his real name and so I had to be careful not to defame him. But I now know what state and county he's licensed in. He's about an hour from me.
Should I pay him a visit? The lawyers would say "NO, NO and NO!"

Look on eBay at texecom transformer they are about the same output I may have a couple kicking around if you need one.

I find your remarks defamatory. And false. And if you know they're false then you are lying.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. . .
Whoa there cowboy, I suggest you read your dictionary again, defamatory, I don't think so.

borabora, ignore all this rubbish, buy a replacement panel, saves a lot of messing around, trying to find the correct replacement transformer in the first place would be one.

Perhaps it's time to find something 'a little more fancy'? There are some very good and not too expensive panels out there, have a look around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back