Accenta / Optima G3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I moved into a house a bit ago and on entering we put in the alarm code that the estate agent gave us.

To be honest we've not really used the alarm much in a year but recently there's been a spot of burglaries in my area so I'm trying to get tip top by installing some PIR lights, locks on my gates but the main thing is to get the alarm working.

So here goes...

The Alarm we have is a Accentra / Optima G3

Looking at the instructions it looks like a 8SP 401N

https://goo.gl/photos/jqu87BCzrioECCyv6

So I had the tamper button on for a bit, it was due to a decorator unscrewing a screw in hope that they could move a box while they decorated. They didn't move the box and failed. I reset this with some help from the manual.

Next up I thought I'd arm the system.

It didn't sound the alarm box. I rang up the installer who gave me the engineer code. So I went to the instructions and turned to page 22 and tried to do a walkthrough test using the following.

Prog # # # # (Eng Code) 1 2 - Strobe Test. Result = couldn't see a strobe. Pressed Reset Twice
Prog # # # # (Eng Code) 1 3 - Ext Siren (Bell Test). Result = The alarm box sounded once.

I set my alarm and then tested it out to see what was going on.

Result is that the alarm goes off BUT the siren box isn't sounding at all.

Do you think I can fix this myself?

I'm thinking...

Change Battery + Fuses?

Can I get the parts for these and do it myself? Today I've put up junction box + power in loft, PIR LED Light & 4 CCTV cameras up. I'm OK at having a go as long as I know the safety risks.

I was thinking off turning all the electric off in the house via the junction / fuse box.

Then flicking the power off fused spur near the alarm box.

Then taking the cover off and seeing what's what. Ordering any new parts, can I get these locally? I'm close to a Maplins / Screwfix / Toolstation / B&Q.

Then replacing siren box battery too.

Any advice really appreciated. I can do some stuff but I'm no alarm engineer.

Cheers, Ben

Sponsored Links
So my aim is to get the external sound box working.

Fingers crossed some alarm tech can help me out :)

All the best. Ben

Sponsored Links
First ....how did you test the alarm ....common mistake is to set it , start entry zone ...time runs out internal sounder starts .....but ....most panels have a pre alarm on the entry time out , so it looks like it's not ringing , you may have to leave it a further 30s before the bell starts ringing ....next ....depending on the bell box it may have had its test timer left on !

As above. The battery in the panel should be changed every 4/5 years. To test the bell battery remove the hold of wire in the panel end and the bell should activate.

Thanks Chaps.

I had a look in the box inside the house today.

Probably on original battery as it was labelled Jan 07.

I swapped out all fuses for new ones and still no joy.

see the pics of the alarm box here:
https://goo.gl/photos/D587ZLrs54usaZJm7

This is what I mean with the alarm box.

I set this at 8am this morning first thing and came home from work and the alarm siren rang one before stopping and the internal alarm noise kicked in again.

Like so:
https://goo.gl/photos/4xinRRzpT2bC5iZr8

I'll get a pic of the bell box later for you to laugh at its been there some years!

Ben

Remove the blue B wire ( near the fuses ) and touch on the black battery terminal .....does the bell ring ?
If so keep it on for more than 30secs , if it stops after around 5secs check the bell test timer...if not probably a faulty piezo or wiring to bellbox ( corroded ? In bell box ) ?

Thanks sparkeymarka.

Ive ordered a new battery n collect tomorrow.

Hopefully not any wiring thing.

I'll turn electric off tomorrow n give it a test

Just swapped battery and no joy.

It beeped once when i pulled the battery off and the power was off.

Plan B is to change the siren box.

Have you tried removing the b wire and touching to 0v ? As it could be a faulty panel and replacing the bell is a waste of time !

I didn't mate but will do as my next job.

So power off.

Take a photo of all wires.

Put wire on battery n see what happens.

I'll report in soon

Change the control panel battery EVERY 4 to 5yrs, unless you suspect it has a problem before

Last edited:
Don't power off ....it won't work...you can turn the mains off , but you will need the battery on !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back