Acceptable phone cable installation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just received these pictures from a friend after a company installed her phone/broadband (the company that talks twice), the front door takes a bit of force to shut now, also an internal door won't fully close.
I told her to phone the company back to get them out, she did, they informed her that they will charge a fee if she damages the cable and for an "engineer" to come out to check the installation they would also charge her. :rolleyes:
I don't install many phone cables, mainly mains, but surely this isn't the norm for installing these cables, are these guys not allowed to drill through walls?

Sponsored Links
The trouble is these companies are just very poor with few resources and they are so benevolent that they haven't the heart to charge customers more than a small fee to cover travelling expenses so they could only afford to employ the complete toss-pot who did this.

Don't delete the photos.

Make a further call to the company. Explain that you wish to make a complaint.

Explain that the installation does not comply with BS 7671: 2008 as amended 2011 and needs to be rectified so that the cable is routed in such a fashion that the doors can be closed without danger of damaging the cable.

As the installation stands, of course the cable will be damaged, because she needs to shut the door.... :rolleyes:

Telephony engs don't generally drill walls if they can help it. But they do drill frames....

I've told her to phone first thing n the morning and speak to someone in the complaints dept.
Will update the response.

Sponsored Links
Wow, that truly is some disgraceful workmanship! I can't see how any complaint could be discarded by the company responsible for that abomination.

There is no way they should be taking a cable through a door way like that. It's a disgrace. The socket being on the wonk is very poor too.

While stapling a cable along a wall/skirting/door frame is not pretty, it is the norm for these installs, and why I always like to pre-empt installs and install secondary cabling accordingly.

I have seen Openreach screw directly to dry lined walls with short 1/4" screws, the socket can be 'pulled off' the wall. Also seen them try and fail to screw directly to block walls, and then get their drill out and make ONE fixing hole for plug. Even then they still use their 1/4" screw!

Standards have dropped hugely in recent years, but that install is never acceptable!

Securesparks the BSI for telecommunications is BS6701

Data cabling tends to be EN50173

• Any pathway system chosen must also take into consideration the impact of the environment into which it is being installed. In the standards, EN50173 and TIA 568-C Annex F this is covered in the M.I.C.E. classification.
M.I.C.E. stands for
• Mechanical – Any forces likely to be applied that may damage the system by, shock bump, crush, impact, bending etc
• Ingress – contamination by particles or submersion.
• Climatic & Chemical – effects of temperature, rate of change, humidity,
liquid
• Electromagnetic – effects of magnetic fields, RF transmissions,
electrostatic discharges.

I suggest it fails on EN due to the "M" :D

I can't do anything about the BT drop cable I already have, but any alternative supplier of phone, or internet, or TV etc, is welcome to discuss providing me with their services as long as they can absolutely guarantee (contractual, with a liquidated damages clause) that their cable will not be visible anywhere on my property, inside or outside of my house.

Or they are welcome to go and **** themselves.

Sounds like you are going to be stuck with "BT" for a long time then.

I'd ask if they can send a sober engineer next time!
Truly appalling workmanship. I had BT install a phone point not so long back and can say the engineer I got (local bloke) did an excellent job.
He drilled straight through the wall and put the BT box over the hole, looped the cable and siliconed up the outside hole etc.

Which company is your telephone service provider ?

Was the person who "installed" that cable and OpenReach socket an OpenReach technician or some other company ?

I am appalled that anyone would put a cable through a door like that.

It can be difficult to get through some PVC door frames due to the steel frame inside the PVC but that is no excuse to bodge it the way it has been bodged.

Bernard speaks sense, thank goodness. Installation employees of telephone companies are not engineers; at best they are technicians, but in cases such as shown above even "toss-pot" is being generous !

Which company is your telephone service provider ?

Was the person who "installed" that cable and OpenReach socket an OpenReach technician or some other company ?
Regardless of who supplies the phone service, and whether they use a BT wholesale exchange service or provide their own - the cabling up to the NTE in the premises will normally be handled by BT OpenReach. In some densely populated areas (such as parts of London) there may be other operators with street plant - but mostly the alternatives are in cabled areas (Virgin etc). Biggest exception is Kingston on Hull which for some reason remained as something of an anomaly in this country.
In this case, the BT OR name/logo on the socket is something of a clue.

The provider in question would be using BT OR for the line, I think BT for the phone service, and mostly their own kit for the broadband.

Occasionally I get to deal with installs through work, and some of the engineers can be quite nice to chat to. First thing to remember is that they are mostly well and truly p**sed off with their management - just don't mention performance reviews to them. Second thing to remember is that most of the public can't differentiate between BT and OpenReach - it may have been BT that well and truly f***ed up the installation*, but the OR guy is only there to install the cable.
But, one of the guys was telling me that he has different uniforms depending on who they are doing jobs for - some days he'll be branded as Sky, others as openReach, ...

* How hard can it be ... "all paperwork to be sent to <address>". So where do BT send the letters giving the installation appointments ? Yup, to the empty premises where no-one sees them :rolleyes: Had some fun sorting that one out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back