Acceptable to cover sockets with whiteboard ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked to install a couple of interactive whiteboards - should have been a simple job except that there isn't enough wall space in spite of the customer having been sent drawings and told to check :rolleyes:

Anyway, if I space them off the wall (wood packers and some longer screws) they will fit, but will cover some dado trunking that has sockets on it. Is it considered acceptable to cover sockets like this ?

In theory they are accessible for maintenance in that the whiteboard itself can be lifted off it's mountings - so not much different to hiding them behind furniture. The customer can do without them, usage wise.

Sponsored Links
If it's dado trunking it would probably be fairly simple to open the sockets each side of the affected one(s) and draw through new unbroken lengths of cable.

The socket boxes can then be covered with blanking plates if original trunking cover is not available.

Whiteboards should not be 'liftable off' especially if they support the projector bracket too - they're heavy.

I wouldn't be too happy if I either was doing eicr or fault finding and had firk about with removing a whiteboard to access what should be accessible joints/accessories, even if they were blanked off, you still need to access them, unless you MF the joints.

I wouldn't be too happy if I either was doing eicr or fault finding and had firk about with removing a whiteboard to access what should be accessible joints/accessories, even if they were blanked off, you still need to access them, unless you MF the joints.
I would agree ... BUT, what was being suggested was ...
.... it would probably be fairly simple to open the sockets each side of the affected one(s) and draw through new unbroken lengths of cable.
.... in which case you ought not to be unhappy, because there would be no joints, MF or otherwise, behind the whiteboard.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
My response was not directed at Owaindiyers post, I had not actually not read it, pure coincidence the reference to blank plates.
If I where to come across this installation and it had been done as Owaindiyers post, then I would hope that documents were made recording this, and therefore I did not have to waste time trying to get to blank plates that had continuous conductors in.

My response was not directed at Owaindiyers post, I had not actually not read it, pure coincidence the reference to blank plates.
In that case, my apologies. Your post was immediately after his and, in the absence of any quotes (and, as you say, the coincidental reference to blank plates), I assumed that your post was a response to his.

I know that some people get annoyed by quoting, but just a little quote often helps to clarify what a post is actually referring/responding to!

Kind Regards, John

If it's dado trunking it would probably be fairly simple to open the sockets each side of the affected one(s) and draw through new unbroken lengths of cable.

The socket boxes can then be covered with blanking plates if original trunking cover is not available.

Whiteboards should not be 'liftable off' especially if they support the projector bracket too - they're heavy.

projector bracket is usually separate from the board, but still a pain to lift off, usually festooned with tinsel and stick on furry creatures

That's more or less what was on my mind. I'd not do it - not because I can't or don't know what I'm doing, but because I'm not "qualified" and I doubt my employers insurance would cover me for that. So we'd need to ask the customer to get their local sparky in to do it - which would introduce additional delays. One of the staff there said (to paraphrase) "what's the problem ?" and showed me another one they had done a while ago which has unused sockets hidden behind the board.

The projector bracket is separate. The whiteboard itself "just" lifts off, though care would need to be taken when putting it down to avoid damaging connectors on the bottom - it just hooks over a mounting rail at the top. it's big and heavy though.

That was my consideration. It's probably one of those "debate till the cows come home" topics - is this really any different to having sockets behind heavy furniture ?

Meanwhile, back in teh office today, "questions will be asked" as to who said what. I was told "the customer was given detailed drawings and asked to check that it would fit - and they said it would". I can't help thinking the customer really didn't understand the details :rolleyes:

That was my consideration. It's probably one of those "debate till the cows come home" topics - is this really any different to having sockets behind heavy furniture ?
Quite. I'd personally say that the sockets would be at least as easily accessible as if they were behind heavy furniture. I would have thought that if the customer is aware of the 'issues' but is nevertheless happy for the board to be installed in front of the sockets, then there's no reason why you shouldn't do that - any more than there is any reason why a delivery man should not position heavy furniture in front of sockets/switches/whatever if so instructed.
Meanwhile, back in teh office today, "questions will be asked" as to who said what. I was told "the customer was given detailed drawings and asked to check that it would fit - and they said it would". I can't help thinking the customer really didn't understand the details :rolleyes:
I can imagine. However, if that question is literally what/all they were asked ("would it fit?"), then they may well have given a perfectly correct answer. You've indicated that they do not appear to see any problem with having sockets behind the board so, unless they were specifically asked about sockets, may not have seen any reason to comment about them!

Kind Regards, John

I've just learned that the customer came to us and asked us to supply "model X" - ie they decided what they want and asked us to supply and install it.

As to size, I suspect they just never considered the issues of not having a "flat wall". They already have a different system in another room which is spaced off teh wall in the same way - so they possibly never considered it a problem. From my POV, not knowing this bit of the requirement, I arrived without the tool or materials to deal with it - and without enough time to go and source them.

The conversations in the office this morning have been "interesting" ;)

To be honest I'd just put the things up and post a notice that there are sockets behind them near the CU.

As there is no definition of what is accessible within the regs I would suggest that any electrician that kicked up a fuss about having to lift them down or actually asking someone to do it for them, just be politely shown the door!

I really worry about how some folk react, try working for a DNO where over 90% of our connections are either buried or 6m(or more) above ground level!

To be honest I'd just put the things up and post a notice that there are sockets behind them near the CU.
I'm not sure I'd even bother to do that - after all, how often does one find notices near a CU indicating that there are sockets behind various bookcases or whatever?!

Kind Regards, John

projector bracket is usually separate from the board, but still a pain to lift off, usually festooned with tinsel and stick on furry creatures

The ones I've used have the projector bracked mounted to the whiteboard, so the projector and bracket remain in constant relationship while the whole assembly can be raised or lowered to accommodate teachers/pupils of different height.

The ones I've used have the projector bracked mounted to the whiteboard, so the projector and bracket remain in constant relationship while the whole assembly can be raised or lowered to accommodate teachers/pupils of different height.

Sounds like a bit of flash kit, what make are they?

The ones I've used have the projector bracket mounted to the whiteboard, so the projector and bracket remain in constant relationship while the whole assembly can be raised or lowered to accommodate teachers/pupils of different height.

Sounds like a bit of flash kit, what make are they?

Promethean Activboard, possibly the +2, height adjustable version

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back