Acceptable to use stirling board as a base for tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small section of tiling to do in a bathroom. Quite a lot of the plaster base has had to be removed where some new piework has been run. In order to provide a suitable base for the tiles is it acceptable to use stirling board? The area of concern is of no more than 10 x 15cm x 15cm tiles. Thanks for any advice. ;)

Sponsored Links
I wouldn’t; either plaster repair it or fix some plasterboard on there & tile over that. Where is it specifically located?

Thanks, Richard. The area in question is part of the wall at the tap end of the bath. I have replaced an old shower valve with a modern equivalent (bar type). The run of the pipes for the new valve has required some extensive removal of the wall fabric which is breeze block. Now the installation is complete I need to retile but in order to create a suitable base for the tiles I was concerned as to what material to use. Very simply I had a spare piece of stirling board. If it is better to use WBP then that's fine.

In a wet area location, I would use a lump of waterproof tile backer board. Cut close to size as you can & stick it in place with dabs of grab or wall board adhesive to the required surface level; then fix through the dabs of adhesive when dry with through fixings (4 will probably do you on that size) seal any gaps with tile adhesive & then re-tile.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, not done enough tiling to have experienced backer board. Whereabouts can it be obtained? B & Queue, Wickes, Jewsons?

Not sure about Jewsons but both B&Q & Wickes sell Aquapanel I believe; even better, try a decent local tile shop; Google it there are several types available.

Also have a read of the Tiling Forum sticky & Forum archive posts for the basic do’s & don’ts of tiling to avoid you making more potential mistakes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back