Acceptable tolerances on brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not overjoyed by the quality of the work of the brick layer. His horizontal dimensions are off, in various places.

On a course of 17 bricks (3815mm), he was over by about 20-24mm. He gave me a blank look and said that he only missed by "mm" and that I am too fussy.

I have no idea of brick laying and I had assume that there should be better accuracy ?

Sponsored Links
I am not overjoyed by the quality of the work of the brick layer. His horizontal dimensions are off, in various places.

On a course of 17 bricks (3815mm), he was over by about 20-24mm. He gave me a blank look and said that he only missed by "mm" and that I am too fussy.

I have no idea of brick laying and I had assume that there should be better accuracy ?

I would be happy with upto 10mm, although I often find brickwork is within 5mm.

The thing is, it shouldnt be far out because brickwork is set out by doing the corners first and the section in between is filled in after.

Post some pics on here and Im sure the pros on here will critique it.

Surely it's a bonus if he's done more and not charged you for it?

Anyway you need to refer to your plan specification. If that says it needs to be 20 carrots long plus or minus half a carrot, then that's the criteria. If it says to be in accordance with something like BS 8000, then that's the standard.

Sponsored Links
In event of a dispute BS standards would be used as a guide.
Not NHBC, LABC or Zurich or Premier Warranty?

And let's say that imperial bricks were being used. Which BS would be applied?

It's not that easy to impose a standard retrospectively.

Not NHBC, LABC or Zurich or Premier Warranty?

And let's say that imperial bricks were being used. Which BS would be applied?

It's not that easy to impose a standard retrospectively.
True, the work should be fit for purpose, so I guess there is some form of implied standard.

In reality if a wall is 25mm too long, if it doesnt have any important implications it wont matter. Maybe there are other aspects of the bricklaying show poor work.

What should happen is if the drawing says 3815, it's built to 3815.

Sometimes it's expedient or visually better to move walls or openings for various reasons, as long as there are no other structural or practical reasons not to.

Sometimes the bricks lend themselves to opening or closing the joints to make them look "right", or to prevent cut bricks.

But, most importantly, that wall would have been set out to 3815 in the foundations, and he has either messed up the measuring or messed up the plumbing of the corner. And as notch says, if he's messed this basic thing up, what else won't he get right?

It's not a massive issue unless it really needed to be that dimension, but keep your eye on them.

What should happen is if the drawing says 3815, it's built to 3815.

I fully agree.

Sometimes it's expedient or visually better to move walls or openings for various reasons, as long as there are no other structural or practical reasons not to.

Unfortunately my window openings have moved from their designed location due to the incompetency of the brick layer.

Every time I now look at this front elevation I get upset for these needless mistakes that were made. It is brand new and should be perfect.

Wasn't the [lack of] competence of your builder pointed out to you right at the start?

I can measure any 10, 20, 30 courses on my bricklaying and the results will all be the same - i.e. 75mm gauge.

In the vertical direction it is not as bad as they use string lines and your lintels and other important bits are at the same height, even if the height itself is a bit off. In the horizontal direction though they use no guides for it being so far out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back