Accessibility of Earth Bonding Clamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Very quick question...

Does the clamp need to be accessible for inspection as its not a permanent connection?

I had the mega flo moved which was located at the back of the shower (hot and cold supply to the shower was fed from the cupboard housing the megaflo). The earth bonding clamp was attached to one of these copper pipes (probably cold). Now theres nothing there as all the pipework is below the flooring (basin is going here but its all push fit). The earth cable is not long enough to extend to the new megaflo location where I could have re-attached it quite easily.

The installer said to connect it to the pipes in the floor where there would be no access but I'm a little sceptical about this. I might be able to fit it to the flow for the underfloor heating which will be almost directly under the vanity unit so some access could be provided by pulling out the drawer?

Sponsored Links
What used to be connected by the cable? It's supplementary bonding - it may not be needed.

Sponsored Links
@ban-all-sheds electrics arent my strong point, but looking at where the earth cable runs theres a leg that comes back from the ensuite at the other end of the house (furthest from the consumer unit) and theres a leg that runs from the bathroom to the downstairs kitchen (probably to the boiler) and theres the "short" leg that runs to the old megaflo location where it meets the other leg and was screwed to the pipe.

It was connected to the shower hot or cold supply originally, I have the picture I think somewhere

looking at where the earth cable runs theres a leg that comes back from the ensuite at the other end of the house
Should never have been there. All that the en-suite ever needed was local supplementary bonding - no cables going to any other locations.

theres a leg that runs from the bathroom to the downstairs kitchen (probably to the boiler)
Should never have been there. No supplementary bonding was needed in the kitchen at all.

and theres the "short" leg that runs to the old megaflo location where it meets the other leg and was screwed to the pipe.

It was connected to the shower hot or cold supply originally, I have the picture I think somewhere
Where do the pipes to/from the megaflow run now?

electrics arent my strong point
Nor that of the person who installed all of these "earth cables" it would seem... ;)

@ban-all-sheds how do you tell the difference between main bonding and supplementary bonding?

These earth cables go back to some terminals next to the consumer unit (part of the main electrical installation coming in to the property before the CU - the name of this escapes me)

To be honest, all the pipework is largely in the same place it just goes "around" the corner to the new megaflo location, but the main bulk of the pipework (flow/return for boiler/downstairs UFH manifold) stayed put

Had a chat the my neighbours sparky today. Seems the supplementary bonding isnt required anymore as none of the metal pipes will be exposed (replacing the last leg with plastic) . I found where the other earth went; to some pipe near the main stop cock which should remain. The far ensuite will be removed in due course.

I think I'll just clamp to one of the pipes for now whilst the floor is up.

Cheers for the help @ban-all-sheds

I was going to just re-attach it to one of the pipes under the floor, although I dont think its really necessary

It might be dangerous.

And for the n'th time of asking what are you planning to connect to the pipe?

Also, what pipe is it?

Sorry fella you've lost me here.

Thought it was clear what I was doing but obviously not.

I have a length of earth running from supply to main bathroom and clamped. Another length on the same clamp running from bathroom to ensuite.

It was clamped to showers cold supply. Pipes are now in the floor so to preserve the bonding to ensuite (until I remove it as it's still in use) I will clamp it to same cold supply but in the floor of instead.

When the ensuite is removed it is not needed.

That clear?

I have a length of earth running from supply to main bathroom and clamped.
Should never have been there.

And if the pipes in the main bathroom were not extraneous conductive parts it made things more dangerous.

Clearly added by someone who did not understand the difference between earthing and bonding, nor the difference between main bonding and supplementary bonding, nor the requirements for either.

Another length on the same clamp running from bathroom to ensuite.
Ditto.

It was clamped to showers cold supply. Pipes are now in the floor so to preserve the bonding to ensuite (until I remove it as it's still in use) I will clamp it to same cold supply but in the floor of instead.
Where are the connections to other extraneous-conductive-parts made?

Where are the connections to the protective conductors of circuits supplying Class I and Class II equipment in the rooms made?

You'll have to explain what you're talking about a bit better...

As far as im concerned, it is now exactly the same as before. I cannot tell you if it was dangerous, or even necessary; I dont know who did it. I can only tell you whats there and as its not a permanent connection I asked about accessibility.

I have a very poor grasp of "earthing and bonding, nor the difference between main bonding and supplementary bonding"

I'm happy to learn, but you need to speak to me in a language I can understan
what do you mean by:
  • extraneous conductive parts
  • protective conductors of circuits supplying Class I and Class II equipment in the rooms made
Use Lehman terms please

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back