Accessible Junction Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I need to move a socket 18" up a wall. It is currently mounted on the skirting (previous owner). I know that the junction box has to be accessible but i want to avoid placing it under the floor as I am laying a hardwood floor. Can the junction box sit behind the new skirting below where the socket is moving to?

Thanks in advance.

M

Sponsored Links
You can run a new wire from the existing socket to the new position, and then replace what was the old socket with a blanking plate and have the joint behind there if you'd be happy with that?

Hi.

Thanks for the reply. I'm fixing new skirting once the walls have been plastered.

M

In that case you will need to have the wires replaced, or if that's not practical, extended using a maintenence free connection such as thru crimps and then cover the entire joint with heat shrink sleeving.

Sponsored Links
Or crimp it as we all know that crimps actually work.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Think I'll go with the through crimps, found some that self seal with heat for a hot air gun. Already have a crimping tool. Looks like the better and safer option.

:D

Is it a proper ratchet crimping tool, rather than the 'squeeze and hope' type?

You'll need blue thru crimps for the line and neutral conductors, and a red tru crimp for the earths.

Squeeze and hope. I'll try them first and test the strength of the connection. Thanks for the advice.

M

You reallly need to use a proper ratchet crimper.

If the joint is not done right it will fail, and you'll have to get back at it which will mean ruining your decorations, skirting board, hardwood floor or all 3 to do the repair.

Do the joint right now and save your self any hassle in the future.

If the joint is not done right it will fail, and you'll have to get back at it which will mean ruining your decorations, skirting board, hardwood floor or all 3 to do the repair.
Even with the correct ratchet crimper there is a risk of the joint failing. Crimping tarnished copper can create a joint with a high risk of failure some time in the near future.

Personally I would never put any type of junction box in a place where it could not be accessed for maintainance. The extra effort and cost to replace cables and / or arrange to have an un-avoidable junction box relocated to an accessible location gives me peace of mind. Over the years I have seen too many failed joints requiring expensive work to access and repair the joint. And a few of them had created serious consequential damage or loss of service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back