Accessible switch - with pics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know you all like pics so thought I would share this.

Can I claim the prize for least accessible switch of the year?

switch.jpg

Currently trying to sort out a 50s bungalow thats been messed around with over the years and is in a right old state.

I initially was puzzled by a circuit still connected (and switched live when I first started) which was marked shower - Their old electric shower had been replaced with a standard model some years before and the immersion heater replaced with a combi boiler.

I turned the breaker off and told them to see if anything doesn't work, but after 2 weeks nothing was noted.

Then today crawling round in the loft I found this.....pic is the best my phone could do but that is a pull cord switch, complete with cord and ceramic knob on the end.

seems the muppets who redid the bathroom and fitted a suspended ceiling simply stuck the board up, leaving the switch in place, connected to the CU and still live.... :eek:

I can already see this job keeping me in work until retirement - 5 radial socket circuits for 3 rooms (though they have actually tested ok so far), but one lighting circuit which is literally falling apart (nasty 70s cable) with largely no earth.

Oh, and a TT installation with a very old large RCD which tests ok if you press the yellow button but completely fails to do anything when tested with the megger!

Kitchen and bathroom are on a new split load CU which is something, but the old CU with all the other socket circuits and the lighting has a standard 100A main switch.

I'm torn between two options at the moment, so any thoughts welcome..

a) replace the non functioning RCD (which is before both CUs) with a new 2 way box and 100ma time delay RCD
b) leave the existing rcd in to function as an isolating switch only, and replace the main switch on the older MEM board with either 100ma or 30ma rcd switch (that would also mean changing the main switch on the newer CU to a 100ma time delay since its a TT installation)

I won't get onto the PIR issue, that can be a separate post.

Oh, and before anyone asks you are welcome to use the pic :D

Gavin

Sponsored Links
That looks like rubber insulated cable. If so, BASEC's advice is that such cable is beyond it's working life and should be replaced asap. The fact that the bungalow dates from the fifties supports this.

Forget 'sorting it out', it wants a complete rewire.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back