Accessing building control plans from 2006

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I’m in the final stages of having solar panels installed on my dormer roof. I’d like to know before work starts exactly how much weight the roof can support, not how much the solar installers think it can support. I have all the original plans from 2006 and the building regulations certificate but no structural plans, at least for the roof.

Can structural plans from that long ago be accessed still? I’m hoping so but if not would would be the best way to establish its load bearing capacity. For the record it’s a felt roof and a ballast system will be used- no fixing to roof!

Thanks for any input. For the record I live in Merton borough, London.

Sponsored Links
As Building Regs drawings are not in the public domain Building Control will only enable access upon the applicants permission, even then they may not ( they may not even be available) and would likely charge for the privilege, you're better off trying to find the original architects/engineers and approaching them direct though equally they'll not (or shouldn't) release anything without the original bill payers permission.

As Building Regs drawings are not in the public domain Building Control will only enable access upon the applicants permission, even then they may not and would likely charge for the privilege, you're better off trying to find the original architects/engineers and approaching them direct though equally they'll not (or shouldn't) release anything without the original bill payers permission.
Thanks for the quick reply. I am the original bill payer- hopefully that makes life easier. I contacted the builders but they didn’t have the BC plans and looks as if the architect might have disappeared. Will give them another go tomorrow though.

I will also try my luck with Merton BC.

Sponsored Links
You can not/ should not rely on plans unless they are specific "as built" plans which you only tend to get after large commercial projects.

Check the roof construction, note the timber section sizes and go from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back