Accessing leak behind plastic or asbestos tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've got a leak coming from a shower control unit. I've removed a number of tiles to access it, but there is some form of plastic or tile covering it to enable plaster to be smoothed over prior to tiling. This plastic or tile has some form of super strong mastic in places holding it in places and is covered in plaster in others. I'm not sure if I will be able to remove it without breaking it.

My concern is if this is an old asbestos tile that was taken up as a part of the bathroom refurb and repurposed to cover the void. The bathroom was done something around 2000-2005, but I don't know when exactly.

I've included two photos below, the first two is the plastic/tile that are of more concern.
The lastone was used to cover the pipe void - I'm not really worried by this one.

Does anyone recognise the material please? Any advice would be apprecriated. At the moment we've got the water turned and are all 'poorly' probably nothing but it does mean we can't get anyone in either.

Thanks
Jamie

tile2.jpeg

tile.jpeg

plastic covering.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Looks like some form of cement board/hardiboard/tile backer board

Nothing to worry about anyway

Thanks for replying. I tried holding a lighter underneath the board, it ever so slightly blackened but didn't burn or melt. I did wonder if it was some form of fibre board, but wasn't really sure if it was the type without asbestos or something with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back