Accident compensation finally settled!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a car accident, (rear shunted by a young driver on a straight section of road), almost 2 years ago. Caught on rear dashcam and he admitted he hadn't been looking ahead. His car insurance paid up within less than a fortnight. At the time I didn't think I had been injured, just shook up. Boss told me to take a couple of days off, "just in case", so I had the Thursday and Friday off. Friday morning I woke up with a stiff right shoulder and thought I had a touch of whiplash. GP said to get it x-rayed so drove to hospital. Was told I had soft tissue damage and rest it for a few days. Went to work Monday morning, still a bit tender but, hey ho nothing excruciating. Get a phone call off my wife late morning to say a consultant at the hospital had reviewed my x-ray over the weekend and I had a fractured clavicle, (collar bone), and needed to wear a special splint for 3 weeks.
Contacted my insurance and told them what had happened so they put a claim in on my behalf. After about 8-9 months I was offered just over £1800, even though I was still in pain at times. Refused it and was told it was their final offer or we could go to court. I elected to go to court. Court date was set for 15th August this year, (23 months after the accident).
Today my insurance contacted me to say the other side had offered an out of court settlement to save costs. I was advised to take it as it seemed reasonable and court may reduce it.
So, I willingly accepted their offer of £4,785.68 as final settlement. I still get pain in my shoulder but a recent x-ray for a non-related injury shows I now have a touch of arthritis in the area. Better than the £1800 they first offered.

Sponsored Links
Result & you're £4.5k better off than if you'd listened to all those naysayers who slag off 'so called' spurious compensation claims as a result of someones negligence.

Would have gone to court or left it to last minute mrs had similar offers 28 years ago for soft tissue and whiplash . Held out to actual court day and got £7500 and all prescription charges etc added(that was with the insurances companies saying 50/50 which it wasnt) . Son who was 3 years old at time and un injured got 1500 quid for trauma as they called it , 28 years later she is still taking pain killers for it .

Sponsored Links
Well done. You must be chuffed.
Hope the neck arthritis doesn't get worse. Mine is immobilising. Tramadol helps.

I got just whiplash in a car crash lots of years ago. No broken bones, so just your own word to go on, so everyone thinks you're just trying it on.

I think I got about £1500 in the end. It was very painful, would have much rather not had it and no money. It hung around for months, then thankfully just went away and never returned.

Good luck with the recovery. Hopefully it will eventually ease off, probably just after you decide it's never going to go away.

Back