Accidentally Drained Water From Central Heating System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was planning on removing a radiator to do some decorating, and after some discussion with my Dad, this seemed fairly straightforward.

What I didn't count on, was both the valve caps on my radiator being absent, and them both looking identical. I've no idea which is the one you use to turn up the radiator and which is the lock valve'; although I'm assuming the thermostat one was on the right. Turned both of them off as far as they went, but it turned out that one of them -the one I think is the lock valve- was actually opened as far as it could go, and I didn't realise this until I checked there was no leakage from the central heating system this morning. Obviously water gushed from the valve and now my central heating pressure is reading zero.

I've no idea how you let new water into the system, but given enough time I can have a look round.

In the meantime:

1) I've switched the central heating system off at the boiler. Is it still safe to use the hot water from the combi boiler? The valve I assume to be the lock valve is still leaking, and I can't get hold of any blank ends.
2) Given that I've no previous central heating experience, is there anything important to know about adding new water into the system?
3) We're not using the central heating at the moment, so I'm thinking of just replacing the valves with no markings for proper ones. Would it be better just to leave alone, wait until the decorating is finished and then drain the system to replace the valves?

Sponsored Links
It would help if you tell us what make / model of boiler you have. Don't use it until the system pressure is back up. I take it your Dad's not a plumber?
The boiler may have an inbuilt fill loop or have one fitted externally. Read boilers manual.

It's a Worcester 24i Greenstar that was installed before January 2009. We didn't pick it; it came with the flat.

Unfortunately, my Dad is not a plumber!

I've found out how you let water into the system thanks to this FAQ*, and no thanks to the user manual.

Is the lack of pressure going to affect the hot water? Should I not do anything with the boiler at all whilst the pressure is zero, or just not use the heating?

Edit: I've just found the wiki on this site. I'm such a n00b...

*http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/SealedCH.html

Sponsored Links
Make sure that BOTH rad valves are off, Recharge the system and then you can use the boiler safely. Do not try to use the boiler when pressure at zero.

Righto.

I've turned the leaky lockshield valve as far as it will go clockwise, which, correct me if I'm wrong, should close it. If it leaks, I've a spare valve I was given ages ago that I'm going to put on.

I think I'll finish the wall paper stripping, and let you know how I get on.

After cursing the previous owners for the hundreth time, I managed to loosen off the valve to fill the system. Worked a treat, pressure up easy.

However, the lockshield valve on the removed radiator started to leak. I've attached the shower hose up to it, and I'm in the process of draining stuff to change the radiator valve.

Thanks very much for all your help with this problem! I'm really grateful for someone taking the time to help a DIY newbie not flood the downstairs neighbours!

It's still leaking. What if I wound some PTFE tape round the top of the pipe?

Because the PTFE seems to have sorted it!

As long as I can get a shower, I am happy for the time being; although when we put Satan's radiator back on the wall it's a different story.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back