Acclaim Constructor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No 1 son has just bought this from a charity shop.

It will not load, claiming the PC has the wrong OS ("needs Win95 & Direct X 5").

No 1 son is very upset he has spent his hard non-earned cash on the game and it won't load. I've looked on the interwebby and there are a few mentions of things to try, but none allow the game to load up.

Are there any fixes to allow games written for DOS-based OS's to load up on the newer OS's?

You'd make a very sad 10 year old very happy..... ;)

Sponsored Links
SS,
What operating system does the lad run, if XP have a read of this to try it in compatability mode.

If that fails, then get him to read the labels, or you do it for him, before buying anymore old games.

dave

Have look on the web to see if there is a patch for the game in question,we had Twinsen which was dos game but some one led me to a patch for it and we played it again on windows xp.

Cheers. I have tried this, but the install is not going ahead & I'm getting the same "NEED WIN 95" message.

Will it run on Linux Mint?? ;)

Sponsored Links
Alternatively you could run the game inside a virtual machine.

http://www.vmware.com/virtualization/virtual-machine.html

This maybe overkill.... but....you can make that choice

Do you have an original Windows 95 disk around ... if you do ... install VMWare workstation with the free license - you can also use Microsoft Virtual PC....

If using VMware; click File->new->virtual machine and put your win95 disk in the drice -- it will detect it is win95. You then install the entire OS as if its a new PC.. but now its running as a VM inside your windows XP ... boot the new virtual Win95 computer that you just created and install your game as normal on the virtual computer and your off...

Back